Mosaic Dataset Creation Problems

Jump to solution
11-09-2023 06:24 AM
JD1016
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Our aerial contractor supplied me with a set of IMAGINE Image tiles that I would like to mosaic.

Under a file geodatabase, I right clicked, New, Mosaic Dataset.  Supplied a name, added the coordinate system of the image files, defined the pixel type as 16 bit signed, and the number of bands as 1 corresponding to the properties of the tiles.

I then right-clicked the mosaic dataset and chose Add Rasters.  Raster Type was left to the default of Raster Dataset, under Input Data I selected Dataset, went to the directory where all my image files are stored, highlighted them all and added them, under Advanced Input Data Options I supplied the coordinate system and to Allow Duplicates, under Raster Processing I enabled Calculate Statistics and Build Raster Pyramids, and finally under Mosaic Post-processing I enabled Update Overviews.  I then ran the tool.

The file attached to this posting entitled "ActualTilesEntireArea.png" are how the tiles appear in ArcMap.  The other file attached to this posting entitled "PostAddRaster.png" is the end product after Add Raster.  I was assuming after Add Raster that I would see something similar to my original but that is not the case.

No error messages appear but I am stumped.  I even tried leaving "Update Overviews" unchecked as it is by default.  Then everything goes blank clear through Building Footprints, Generating Seamlines, and Building Overviews.

Can someone please assist me?

Thank you.

JD

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, It appears from afar to be correct

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The PostAddRaster.png is likely correct. The data is floating point elevation data and what you are seeing is a single mosaic of the whole areas rendered with the lower parts in the North dark and then I assume some higher plain are to the south as white. If you for example apply a hill shade on the image I expect you will see the detail. Alternatively turn on DRA and zoom into different areas The ActualTilesEntireArea.png is showing each tiles with a default render being applied to each tile individually. 

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

Hi Peter,

Thank you for responding to my post.

I've attached another screenshot "ApplyHillshade.png".  I see "Use hillshade effect" as a selection.  I enabled that but not much changed.

Do I need to make any additional modifications for it to come in properly?

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Suggest you load add some of the source data, zoom in and compare the values. Are their differences? Also look to use the hillshade function to better symbolize.  Also you will find more tools, better visualization etc in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

I started over and performed all the manipulations --- Create Mosaic through Build Overviews in Pro.  I've applied a Hillshade.  I can definitely see surface variations now (see attached).

Is this what you were referring to?

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, It appears from afar to be correct

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

Thank you, Peter.

0 Kudos