Poor image quality in generated map server cache tiles

Jump to solution
12-20-2017 02:40 PM
NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

Hi all,

We've received some new aerial imagery so I'm in the process of generating a new cached tiled map service. What I'm finding is that the aerial imagery in the generated tiles is of a poorer quality than how it looks in ArcMap. We've built pyramids on the imagery and at most scales the quality is as expected. See images below for comparison between expected (screenshot from ArcMap) and generated (screenshot from generated tiles). The only thing that comes to mind is a mismatch between pyramid scales and tile cache scales, but I would have thought the image in ArcMap would look the same as the generated image. Is this behavior normal? Any ideas on how to 'fix' it?

FYI ben_vk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Possible issue may be that the pyramids from the original data were created using Nearest sampling. Suggest you re-create the pyramids using Bilinear/Average as sampling method. Do this from the "Build Pyramids and Statistics tool" (but turn off stats generation).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Possible issue may be that the pyramids from the original data were created using Nearest sampling. Suggest you re-create the pyramids using Bilinear/Average as sampling method. Do this from the "Build Pyramids and Statistics tool" (but turn off stats generation).

NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Peter. That makes sense, I'll give it a go and report back.

0 Kudos