Using video from GoPro 5 Black in Full Motion Video

07-06-2018 10:17 AM
PatrickClaflin
New Contributor II

I have some video files captured using a handheld GoPro 5 Black that I am trying to bring into the Full Motion Video (v1.3.2, ArcMap 10.5). I used the multiplexer to combine metadata with the video, and it plays fine in the Video window with proper location, but the frame extents do not display in the map. Has anyone done this before, or can anyone provide insight into the issue?

I used DashWare to extract the metadata (see attached) which should have all the necessary metadata. I cleaned up the metadata and removed fields, recalculated parameters as needed, and saved it. The problem is most likely from my calculations being incorrect, so here's what I've done:

I determined that GoPro records metadata from its IMU/gyroscope in rad/s in Z,X,Y order (GitHub - gopro/gpmf-parser: Parser for GPMF™ formatted telemetry data used within GoPro® cameras. ). According to the convention on that page, Y would relate to the Roll and X to the Pitch. I converted these values to angles, ignoring the Z information because the Heading is also recorded in the metadata. I am wondering if these values relate directly to the angle in which the camera is facing, or if there is additional calculation needed?

I assumed the relative angles/elevations to be 0 because the camera was looking straight forward, and changed the time units to UNIX (they are arbitrary in this case, starting at 0).

Attached are the files (raw file GOPR1721.csv, formatted GOPR1721-metadata.csv)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
NickWallingford
Esri Contributor

Blake,

There are a few issues I see with your metadata.

1. It looks like you have platform roll angle listed twice; one of these should probably be platform pitch angle.
  2. Your sensor horizontal field of view seems incorrect. It doesn't really make any sense to have a field of view wider than 360 degrees, and rarely should it be above 90 or so.
  3. It's missing the sensor vertical field of view.

Some other gotchas you might run into; you'll need to supply the elevation for the frame extents to be calculated.

Also, you mentioned the IMU outputs its orientation in rad/s: or in other words, the speed at which it is rotating. But the multiplexer expects the orientation to be in terms of where it is pointing directly. You'll have to perform another conversion, and you'll need the starting orientation. This conversion isn't something I'm very familiar with, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
MiguelMartinez2
New Contributor II

Hi Nick,

Why can FMV just read the GoPro metadata structure directly? Why do I need to go into so many steps just to view the alignment of my GoPro video over a map? Is ESRI working on this issue or are all this steps going to be needed for ever? Please let us know that indeed ESRI is going to address this issue. 

Regards,

Miguel

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you ever get this to work? I'm looking into doing something very similar. Having difficulty figuring out the way to go about it.

0 Kudos
PatrickClaflin
New Contributor II

I did, more or less. The results were not great. I'm happy to share the workflow with you directly, or can post here later on.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Either would be amazing! Thanks for offering your help!

0 Kudos
MikeZuege
New Contributor II

I would be interested in seeing your workflow as well...

0 Kudos
PatrickClaflin
New Contributor II

My basic workflow is below. A caveat -- I haven't solved the orientation problem yet, so the platform heading, pitch, roll are not calculated. This will show the GPS track on the map but not the video footprint.

1. Extract the GoPro metadata using this site: https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/
  2. Either manually rearrange the ***filename***-gps.csv output or use the FMV field mapping to get in the expected format. You'll need to make sure to convert the GPS timestamp to UNIX time. You will have the UNIX Time, Sensor Longitude, Sensor Latitude, Sensor Altitude information. The rest I have left as zeroes.
  3. Use the Multiplexer GP tool to create the MISB-format video.
0 Kudos
IT_SRI_ID_283062_____---_Other
New Contributor

Patrick ClaflinCody Benkelman

Hello

i have hero 5 black 

and i wanna to create full motion video when driving my car

1- what is the best camera settings ?

2- how i can get the video geographics data

3- how i can convert it to MISB template to enter it with the video to the multiplexer 

thanks

0 Kudos