Message Processing 2525C Component Symbol Size

Jump to solution
12-17-2012 09:57 AM
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Occasional Contributor III
Greetings,

I've searched the forums for possible matchings to my question and found none related to it, so here it is:

Is there a way to change the size of military symbols that the message group layer contains? On other Graphic types of symbols, that property works well using the "setSize" method of each symbol, passing it the width and height of the image. I've looked at all the possible properties that can be set in the map set of symbol properties of the Message object and found nothing that would do this. The appearing default size set by the component is 30 by 30 pixels, and I would like to be able to change them to at least 50 by 50 pixels so they can be better displayed in monitors with 1024 by 768 or higher screen resolution.

Please, help.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
There isn't a method of achieving this in the API at the moment (maybe we should consider this for a future release).

However there is a workaround, you can apply: 

In the runtime folder there is a file called .\resources\symbols\app6b\messagetypes\positionreport.json

The file contains an entry for the symbolScaleFactor which you can edit (with great care).

I would discourage you from changing any other values in this file.

{
  "type": "position_report",
  "layerName": "position_reports",
  "renderer":
  {
    "type"           : "dictionary",
    "description"    : "",
    "dictionaryType" : "APP6B",
    "field"       : "sic",
    "symbolScaleFactor" : 1.0,
    "labelsVisible" : true,
    "minLabelScale" : 10000000,
    "maxLabelScale" : 0
  }
}

Does this help?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
There isn't a method of achieving this in the API at the moment (maybe we should consider this for a future release).

However there is a workaround, you can apply: 

In the runtime folder there is a file called .\resources\symbols\app6b\messagetypes\positionreport.json

The file contains an entry for the symbolScaleFactor which you can edit (with great care).

I would discourage you from changing any other values in this file.

{
  "type": "position_report",
  "layerName": "position_reports",
  "renderer":
  {
    "type"           : "dictionary",
    "description"    : "",
    "dictionaryType" : "APP6B",
    "field"       : "sic",
    "symbolScaleFactor" : 1.0,
    "labelsVisible" : true,
    "minLabelScale" : 10000000,
    "maxLabelScale" : 0
  }
}

Does this help?
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Yes, indeed!

A future method of achieving this in the API would come handy in circumstances where a plotted symbol(s) can be re-scaled on a selected zoommed in area of interest within the map.

Could you throw in what could the "minLabelScale" and "maxLabelScale" values be used for?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
I'll see what we can do for a future release.  I agree this would be easier control if it could be done in the API. 

The other attributes "minLabelScale" and "maxLabelScale" are for controlling the scales at which your labels are visible.

Regards

Mark
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Very handy; thanks, Mark.
0 Kudos