Strange map display with JRE 8 (Developer Preview)

Jump to solution
09-16-2013 05:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jjoalland13

As JRE8 Developer Preview is now available (get it here), I wanted to test some basic functionnalities of ArcGIS Runtime for Java 10.1.1...

Result I get is just strange about map display !! I run the sample code "SymbolDictionaryApp" with my own basemap on configuration jre1.8.0 and here is the result :
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27474[/ATTACH]

Note : the Map where I can interact is the one on Top-Left corner... other are just duplicate images.

Same test when running on jre1.7.0_07 :
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27475[/ATTACH]

As version 10.2 is coming soon, and final release of JDK 1.8 is expected for March 2014, I wanted to have feedback from ESRI on this.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mbaird

Support for Java 8 is something we are planning, but not in the next release.

For the next release (10.2) which is currently going through product certification / QA we are supporting 6 and 7.  10.2 will be the final release which we support Java 6.

The release after that (maybe this will be called 10.2.1) might give Java 8 support if there is a final version when we release.  It's very much down to timing, but rest assure we are not ignoring it.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Support for Java 8 is something we are planning, but not in the next release.

For the next release (10.2) which is currently going through product certification / QA we are supporting 6 and 7.  10.2 will be the final release which we support Java 6.

The release after that (maybe this will be called 10.2.1) might give Java 8 support if there is a final version when we release.  It's very much down to timing, but rest assure we are not ignoring it.

Mark
0 Kudos
GauravKumar3
New Contributor II
Dear Mark,

I am trying to run ArcGIS engine app 10.1 service pack 1 on Red Hat Enterprise linux 6.2 on java 1.7, and it gives me error on running the sample application, although the sample application runs fine on java 1.6 update 43.

can you provide some help regarding this issue.

i am attaching the error image for the same.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28573[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ArcGIS Engine and ArcGIS Runtime are different products.  ArcGIS Runtime is becoming the replacement for the ArcObjects based Engine product.  I'd encourage anyone starting a new project to seriously consider the Runtime over Engine as this is where our development efforts are focussed.

If you need help with engine / ArcObjects, then you'll get much better answers if you use this forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/20-ArcObjects-SDKs

My knowledge of ArcObjects is a big sketchy these days 🙂
0 Kudos
SachinKanaujia
Occasional Contributor III
If anyone else faced this issue with ArcGIS Engine JRE1.7 onwards do the following

EngineInitializer.initializeVisualBeans();

Add the following just after the above line in your code.

String str = System.getProperty("os.name");       
        if (-1 == str.toUpperCase().indexOf("WINDOWS")){
            System.setProperty("awt.toolkit", "sun.awt.X11.XToolkit");
        }
0 Kudos