Fully offline usage?

01-09-2024 03:40 AM
Craig_R
New Contributor

My project is considering using ArcGIS Kotlin SDK to create an Android app. However, our app will be required to run offline without any data connection. I can see that ArcGIS supports loading maps from the device itself, so basic offline usage should be possible. My query is does ArcGIS require any online connection, even periodically? E.g. does it need to perform an online license check every X days, or can it work fully offline indefinitely? If it needs to revalidate, how often would this be required? And what license level would be required for a 100% offline usage scenario?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RamaChintapalli
Esri Contributor

Hi,
If you are working with a license string, you should be able to work offline indefinitely. See the full licensing details here 

Here is the license capabilities chart. The license level depends on the type of offline data formats you will be using.

Thanks
Rama

0 Kudos
Craig_R
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. Once the handaset has a data connection will the SDK perform an online license validation? Or any other online/active activity? Just curious about if and when the SDK will attempt to call out to other services by itself, or is this all controlled via the app itself?

0 Kudos
RamaChintapalli
Esri Contributor

Just curious about if and when the SDK will attempt to call out to other services by itself, or is this all controlled via the app itself 

With usage of License strings, there are no further network requests. For named user license info obtained from portal, there are network requests associated.

0 Kudos