Creating a Grid For A Raster When Measuring Land Cover in Accuracy Assessments

03-24-2016 03:18 PM
ashleytarver1
New Contributor II

I am assessing the accuracy for the 2011 National Land Cover Map (NLCD).  Each pixel for the NLCD measures 30m x 30m.  For my reference data, I'm using two sources: 

1)  Google Earth (~15-20 m resolution)

2)  NAIP hi res imagery (1-2 m resolution)

For each randomly sampled point I've created, I want to create a grid that lays over that point in my hi res image and simulates the area of the pixel it represents on the NLCD (30m x 30 m).  This will allow me to label the land cover based on the rules for the NLCD classification scheme (if more than 30% of the 30 m x 30 m pixel is covered in leaf foliage, it is forest).

Does anyone know of a tool for creating a grid like this in Arc that works on raster?  The create fishnet tool is for vector.  Or, if anyone has tips on an easier way of doing this, the feedback is appreciated!  Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Note sure what you actually need, but the simplest would be to convert a fishnet of the desired configuration to a raster.  If you need the fishnet to represent, 1 vector rectangle/square to 1 raster cell, then simply specify the desired extent, the needed cell size and use the raster you are overlaying onto as the snap raster.  symbolize for transparency etc.

0 Kudos