tile large point dataset

09-22-2015 09:06 PM
SeanBemis
New Contributor

I am trying to develop a routine that requires segmenting (tiling) potentially large point datasets into a series of smaller square blocks of point data. I need to be able to set the dimensions of the square and have each tile output as a new, separate file/feature class.  I have scoured ArcToolbox for anything like this - anyone out there have any suggestions???

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

I can't think of a specific tool that would accomplish what you need but there may be something out there not included in the core tools (I just can't recall if there is at the moment).  In any case, you should be able to automate this procedure with a model or script:

1. Create a fishnet that covers the extent of your large point dataset and that has cells with the dimensions you require.

2. Iterate over each cell in the fishnet to select the points within it.

3. Export the selected points to a new feature class.

I will try to recall if I have actually come across a tool intended to do what you need and will post again if something comes to mind.

0 Kudos
SeanBemis
New Contributor

Awesome - I can see how I could make the fishnet work.  Might take a little learning on my part to get it automated, but it's definitely an avenue I could follow. (although a more direct tiling tool would still be preferable )

I've been trying to use the LAStools toolbox, but have spent the last couple days trying to figure out why the 'lastile' function is not working for me.  Just learned from the LAStools developer on another forum that the tile function only outputs to .las and .laz. 

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Actually, I think the lastile tool is the one I was thinking of.

What version of ArcGIS are you using and do you have any familiarity with ModelBuilder or Python scripting?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Once you have created your fishnet... try Split Layer By Attributes​ which will take part of the selection process and export process if you can use shapefiles as input and output for now

if you can't access it, we are/were having some organizational access issues