Link to local file in popup

10-05-2023 01:50 PM
Labels (2)
MonikaNicholsRDC
New Contributor II

Hi does anybody have anything set up to allow the LocalMaps popup to have a link that opens a file on a local server?

I am aware that for security reasons, Microsoft Edge 76+ and Chrome impose a number of restrictions on file:// URLs, including forbidding navigation to file:// URLs from non-file:// URLs.

I am thinking having the files in a cloud storage would be an option but does anybody else have this requirement and use any other solution for this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelPrior
New Contributor II

SharePoint works well in LocalMaps and we use it on most services. It is really simple to set up and you can use the layers attributes to populate the URL.

Michael Prior
0 Kudos
MonikaNicholsRDC
New Contributor II

Thanks Michael, our sharepoint is currently on prem and we don't have the option to have these particular files in sharepoint at the moment due to file size restrictions however we are moving to sharepoint online soon so this could be a good option then!

0 Kudos
TristanMcHardie
New Contributor III

We have the same problem. Our tentative solution, which we haven't implemented yet, is to serve those files alongside LocalMaps in IIS so that they're accessed over http://. The entire directory the files live in is able to be shared, which makes it easy to serve in IIS. Note this is internal only - we'd look at something different for external.

0 Kudos
MonikaNicholsRDC
New Contributor II

Thanks Tristan. This is for internal only for us too so I will check with IT about whether we can try this option.

0 Kudos