Align grid labels to grid line orientation

01-27-2021 02:44 PM
DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have an issue, where I am trying to avoid dropping my grid to a graphic element and manually aligning the Lat/Long labels to the grid lines. The projection that we are using means that the grid lines are curved, and across the continent of Australia the angles can be significant in the lower latitudes. I have attached a screen cap of a sample map if anybody is having trouble visualising what I mean.

Is there a way that the labels can be aligned via arcade? (or is there a setting that I'm just not seeing).

We have Pro 2.4 deployed, however I believe that an upgrade is in the works.

GridAlignment.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @DanielMcIlroy ,

A bit of a late response but thought I'd try anyway...

The angle of your latitudes is changing as you go east-west, so the only way I could see to sort it out dynamically is:

1. Get a feature class of the grid.

2. Split the lines at grid intersections

3. For each line calculate or manually add the bearing you want the labels to be in a 'rotation' field

4. Set the field as rotation value of your labels.

For longitude lines the angle stays the same throughout for each line, so you don't need to split them, just add the rotation value you want in the table for each longitude.

Hope this helps,

Uri

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos