.adf files

Jump to solution
06-08-2017 04:48 AM
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have to send some data to a company who makes numerical modelling. they asked for DTM data.

I have a folder called DTM which has few files in it with the .adf extention.

Is anyone aware of if this kind of file extention is good for a numerical modelling? If not should I have to look for a different kind of files?

Many thanks,

Cheers,

F

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

part of a grid... load the raster in arcmap, export it to a new file specifying a *.tif extension should produce a single TIF format file which you can send.  Help topic suggested formats Alternatives might include these options be to export to an ascii which is pretty standard in many packages

View solution in original post

9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Those are part of the Esri grid format: Esri Grid format—Help | ArcGIS Desktop . Make sure that you also have an info folder. ArcGIS Should recognize the content as a raster.

francescarusso
New Contributor III

thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

part of a grid... load the raster in arcmap, export it to a new file specifying a *.tif extension should produce a single TIF format file which you can send.  Help topic suggested formats Alternatives might include these options be to export to an ascii which is pretty standard in many packages

VinceAngelo

Yes, I agree that GeoTIFF is certainly the the best way forward here. Grid is far too complicated to send correctly, and is much less likely to be supported.

- V

francescarusso
New Contributor III

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

It's not that thanks aren't welcome, but they do clog up the database in a way that marking things as Helpful or using the Like button do not, so please use those mechanisms instead.

I'd recommend giving the Correct to Dan, who answered both parts of the question; I was just seconding his recommendation.

- V

francescarusso
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
D_Kulas
New Contributor

@VinceAngelo I'm wondering if you'd mind elaborating on Grid being far too complicated to send correctly and much less likely to be supported (or could point me to a resource? I've been looking online but this thread is all I've turned up so far). I'm trying to help a user who recently transferred a large amount of raster data from an old hard drive to a server for access on his new computer, and most of the raster data is displaying save the datasets with the .adf file extension. Is this format still supported in Pro? I've advised my user to convert the layers to tiffs and that's been a decent workaround, but he has a lot of content with this format that I'd like to find the most efficient way to properly transfer it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

There's not really anything to elaborate on. The format was never published, so you should not find any documentation. It's also not something that needs to be used (except to convert to GeoTIFF).

Esri tools (including Pro) will read Grid format (if it hasn't been mangled in transfer). The important thing to understand is that grid is a folder structure, so the parent directory and parallel "info" folder are critical. Moving just the files is more likely to mangle the data.

- V