"Search" tool doesn't find files, even after indexing

11-14-2012 08:56 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: DeSchlong

I'm having trouble getting the search tool (eg., the tab in ArcCatalog) to find my geodatabase features and geodatabase features within feature datasets. I've followed the instructions carefully for correct usage of the search tool, including indexing my folders which contain my data.  However, the search tool continues to not find all geographic data.

For example, if I look for the term "*shp*", successfully finds all kinds of Shapefiles, as well as .xml or .txt files with "shp" in the path or file name.  But, (using a different search term, of course) it does not find any kinds of features located within geodatabases (although it will locate the geodatabase file name).

Also, do we know where ArcGIS hides the index file it builds?  I'd like to investigate as I have some suspicions.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
For example, if I look for the term "*shp*", it should find all kinds of Shapefiles.  However, all it ever seems to find are .xml or .txt files with "shp" in the path or file name.  Very annoying.  What's going on?

You haven't by any case tried to search ArcGIS Online before attempting this, and forgotten to reset the Search window to "Local Search" instead of "ArcGIS Online"? There is a combobox for this choice in the upper right corner of the Search window.

I did notice ArcGIS can be picky as to the usage and placement of the wildcard, e.g.:

searchterm*.shp* returns nothing, even if there is a shapefile matching the search term

*searchterm*.shp* does return result
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

^ No, setting is for "Local Search".
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

All right, now it's like someone's toying with me.  It now finds shapefiles, but not features within geodatabases and feature datasets (and this is what I want it to do).  I've not changed any settings.  I'll edit my original post to reflect this development.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
I do notice a strange thing too, look at the attached images and notice how

*searchterm*.shp*

returns a different, bigger result set than

searchterm*.shp*

even though the filenames found indicate that there is no clear difference in file naming that could explain it (all starting with "ctour"), and the result of *searchterm*.shp* are correct when the folder is viewed. None of these datasets have metadata associated with them.

For the record: ArcGIS 10.0 SP5 on Windows 7 SP1
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

All right, now it's like someone's toying with me.  It now finds shapefiles, but not features within geodatabases and feature datasets (and this is what I want it to do).  I've not changed any settings.  I'll edit my original post to reflect this development.

Are you absolutely sure the indexing service had finished when initiating the search, as the indexing service may possibly have been doing it's scheduled background "re-index from scratch". If it was still running, it may not yet have processed all data types or folders. You can set the scheduling options using the Index / Search Options button. By default, it re-indexes from scratch every day, if you don't want that, set it to something else.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I set up "Search" to index certain folders many months ago.  It has definitely had adequate time to index these items.  Attached are the setup window for indexing, and the "results" (or lack thereof) from the search, which clearly SHOULD have found a file named "NHN_HD_WATERBODY_2" but returned 0 results.

Note original post is now edited.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I appear to have resolved the problem after doing a "Repair" installation.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
I appear to have resolved the problem after doing a "Repair" installation.

Hmm, wonder if some XML settings file is used for storing search defaults that went bust causing the issues, and was fixed by the Repair installation? Anyway, good to hear you solved your issues for now. All in all, the Search tool is a great and long desired addition to ArcGIS, especially with the addition of finding specific Geoprocessing tools from the vast ArcGIS collection of tools, as well as geodata.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jcbrewster

I'm having the same problem, though I can't get Search to find ANY files. I get results for Tools, but nothing for Data or Maps. All our GIS files are on a network, not a local machine (we don't use Server or SDE) -- would that make a difference? I've indexed, multiple times, but I have no way of knowing if it has taken effect.

I'd like to find another way besides doing a repair installation, as we have multiple machines and servers that hold our licenses....

Thanks -
0 Kudos