ArcMap 10.6 not exporting ArcGIS Online layers to PDF

02-14-2018 04:07 AM
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Anyone else running into this? I have an ArcMap 10.6 mxd document that uses ESRI's Terrain: Multi-Directional Hillshade ArcGIS Online raster layer.

Now, after the upgrade to 10.6, I can't export the layer to a PDF. I do see the layer and the tinted elevation hillshading properly displayed in ArcMap, it just won't export to PDF from ArcMap. The resulting PDF does not show hillshading. This is really strange, as, when I look in the PDF's content / layer display, I do see an "image" layer displayed. This layer correctly contains all the rasterized shapes of other polygon layers that were in ArcMap's TOC below the tinted elevation layer, that I set 78% transparent. ArcMap will rasterize such vector layers below a raster layer, which it clearly did. For some reason though, the elevation data was not merged into this image layer in the PDF...

If I import the map document in ArcGIS Pro, and export from there, it does export and show the tinted elevation hillshading, see the attached images.

3 Replies
deleted-user-TMdAHGsucfJn
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue with 10.4. It exports it to pdf, on the computer screen it shows up. But when I print there is no hillshade. ESRI are you going to fix this?

0 Kudos
HuckBroyles
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with the exact same ESRI provided Layer.  I am also having difficulty with other similar layers downloaded through ESRI.

Any ideas anyone?  When I isolate the terrain layer and export to JPEG/PNG etc it produces a plain white image.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Huck, I reported this to the Dutch branch of ESRI and got two bugs logged:

BUG-000122033 Intermittently, exporting a layout to a pdf if the map is using a coordinate system other than Web Mercator, the Terrain: Tinted Hillshade living atlas layer will export blocky and won't draw the entire layer if it is exported with "Best" image quality with a dpi greater than 96 and a page size greater than 64 x 33.

BUG-000122689 Exporting layout to pdf that contain Terrain: Elevation Tinted Hillshade layer and high dpi will not draw the entire layer and some grid visible for all image quality. De workaround is om de optie “Output as Image” te selecteren en de Image Quality op Normal of lager te zetten.

So lets hope a future release solves these issues...

0 Kudos