Can't create sd file using ArcGIS for Desktop

08-20-2014 12:47 PM
GreigMcArthur
New Contributor

This is a strange one, I am trying to use ArcGIS for Desktop (10.2.2) to publish and mxd to my Server installation.  When trying to do this as I usually do, I get so far and then get the error:

ERROR 001269: Compressing the service definition failed

and it gets no further and doesn't publish the map.

Strange thing is, I can create an .sddraft file using the same tool, then using the python window I can manually type in:

arcpy.StageService_server('file.sdraft','file.sd)

and this is successful and it generates the .sd file and I can then use this to publish the service manually directly on the server, so it seems the problem lies with what arcgis desktop is asking arcpy to execute.  Is there any way to get debug information on the exact python script being executed?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III

are you using 64bit python implementation? use 32bit instead, this is what I found out when testing an update script for my AGOL feature service. Not sure why StageService_server fails in 64bit python.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Make sure you are not accessing files in the folder containing the service definition.

001269: Compressing the service definition failed.—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
RonChan
New Contributor II

I am getting this error as well using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2. I am wondering if there is a record limit on how many features you can publish. The dataset I am trying to publish has over 62K records. When I take a small sample from the dataset, it publishes with no issue. Has anyone tried to publish a large dataset?

0 Kudos
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using 10.3. I'm publishing 100k records. It's fine. 

0 Kudos