Creating a spatial coverage and overlap map

Jump to solution
06-02-2015 05:08 AM
BenSimpson
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I would very much appreciate some help in working out how to create a particular type of layer/map.

I have a polygon layer which represents spatial coverage of three different categories. At the moment these categories are represented as separate polygons. In certain areas the different categories overlap each other, so I want to create a map which represents areas where there are more than one category. This would mean that the final map should show seven different spatial classifications, as shown below:

Category A

Category B

Category C

Category A and B

Category A and C

Category B and C

Category A, B and C

I am stuck on working out how to create this sort of map/layer. If anyone could point me in the right direction so I at least know where to begin then that would be great. Sorry if I have not explained it very well, please ask if you need anymore information.

Thanks,

Ben.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ben,

Add a text field to each of the three layers, with values "A", "B" and "C" respectively (use Field Calculator).

Do a Union of all the three layers.

Dissolve the union layer with the above three fields. The resulting layer will have 7 features with the above combination. Add a text field to the dissolve layer and define the desired values like "A", "B", "C", "A+B", "A+C", "B+C", "A+B+C".

Now if you want independent individual polygons in the feature class, you could use multipart to singlepart tool.

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ben,

Add a text field to each of the three layers, with values "A", "B" and "C" respectively (use Field Calculator).

Do a Union of all the three layers.

Dissolve the union layer with the above three fields. The resulting layer will have 7 features with the above combination. Add a text field to the dissolve layer and define the desired values like "A", "B", "C", "A+B", "A+C", "B+C", "A+B+C".

Now if you want independent individual polygons in the feature class, you could use multipart to singlepart tool.

Think Location
BenSimpson
New Contributor II

Thank you, that has worked perfectly much appreciated.

0 Kudos