Select to view content in your preferred language

Extra label in legend

10-13-2015 11:51 PM
WencheLarsen
New Contributor

In my legend I have patches (bedrock types) with text label (description of bedrock types), but I want another ‘label’/’description’ on top of the patches, showing its bedrock number. This numbers is stored in the attribute table and is displayed as labels in the map, but how do I display them in the legend, on top of the patches?

In this illustration I have put the numbers on the patches manually, but this is what I am looking for.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I have seen this done before, but, unfortunately, it was hand crafted. The legend was converted to a graphic and then edited from there. Much like what you have done in your image.

What you could try is to create another column in your data and concatenate the number and the description together. Then use that for the legend. This, of course, will not put the number on top of the patch, but you will have both the number and the description next to the patch.

WencheLarsen
New Contributor

Thank's Neil. I have worked out legends with both your suggested solutions before posting the question, and it seems like an impossible task to get what I want.... I have to take the two legends to the other cartographers and the geologists, and have a pole on what to do.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Have you tried setting the legend to wrap labels?

0 Kudos