How to get Maplex to avoid placing labels under legends, other data frames, etc.

05-06-2013 06:32 PM
JasonRoberts
New Contributor II
When labeling polygons using Offset Horizontal positioning, it is possible to configure maplex to try to avoid placing polygon labels over other features in the dataframe. But what about other elements visible in Layout view, such as legends, or other data frames representing insets? Maplex seems to have no knowledge of these and is happy to place labels under them, where the labels cannot be seen.

Are there any workarounds to this other than manually configuring the External Zones to try to get maplex to avoid those other elements? I have a situation where I need to produce hundreds of maps via automation, where each map shares a common spatial extent and layout elements such as legends and insets, but the polygons on the map are different. I do not want the labels placed on top of the polygons--the polygons are actually transparent and overlaid on top of rasters that must remain visible--so I must use the Offset Horizontal positioning. And it is not feasible to manually tweak the maplex configuration for each map; there's just too many maps.

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

Jason
Tags (2)
2 Replies
JasonRoberts
New Contributor II
The best workaround I've come up with so far is to create a layer of fake polygons that have the spatial extents of the legends, other data frames, etc. These are not visible because they sit behind those other elements (although you can configure their symbology to make them invisible, if desired). Then configure the maplex feature weighting to avoid these features.

Not very elegant, but it works in my scenario where the map extents and positions of the legends etc. are always fixed. Anybody have a better solution?

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@JasonRobertsanother solution that works decently well depending on what your layout looks like: if you just have a box, inset, or other element that sits along the edge, you can edit the vertices of your data frame to align with the border of your legend or whatnot. Really only works in some designs, though - most maps I make I do a lot of (sometimes semi-transparent) floating elements over the frame, and this won't work for that. In my example below, the data frame is actually a mirrored-Utah shape hugging the title/legend box. 

Bettendorf Title VI LEP_Clip_White.png

In ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the vertex editing option is found when a data frame is selected from the Map Frame tab>Edit group>Edit Vertices. The options for reshaping the frame are a little limited, but it's serviceable if you just need 90-degree angles or have other elements to snap to. I haven't gotten 'Merge Shapes' to work, the menu options are always grayed out and I haven't bothered googling...yet...

rburkebsrc_2-1659045225359.png

0 Kudos