Key Numbering

10-10-2012 10:32 AM
JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II
from the help menu: "Key numbering is not listed on the Strategy Order dialog box. If enabled, it will always be tried after all other strategies."

Is there a way to make it the first strategy?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
No, key numbering is always the last strategy by virtue of it's functionality. It is a rescue strategy, once all other approved strategies fail to successfully place the label it is placed into a key number list. If you want key numbering to function as the first strategy then simply apply no other strategies.

Sam
Esri
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Also from the help menu: "Note:Key numbering is not listed on the Strategy Order dialog box. If enabled, it will always be tried after all other strategies."

I tried that many times before posting. There are no options to delete strategies from the Strategy Order dialog box and with Key numbering not listed I am not sure how I could do what you are suggesting. Can you explain in steps how a key numbering option only can be achieved.
0 Kudos
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
I meant that the key numbering strategy could be enabled and then if you didn't want any other strategies to affect the labels then simply do not enable any other strategies. By this I mean do not have them "checked on" in the UI.
What way did you envisage using key numbering?

Sam
Esri
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Even if that is the only option checked it will only use key numbering if there is clustering. I tried that many times before I posted.

I envision using it as the only strategy.
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Just got an email from our local ESRI person. There is no way to make key numbering the only option.
0 Kudos
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
Ok sorry about the confusion.
If key numbering is the only strategy that has been enabled, then if the label cannot be placed normally it will instead be placed into an index list and number placed onto the feature. I don't know what you mean by clustering apart from that would be a good example of where you will get unplaced labels.
Who is your local Esri contact? I guess we could communicate to work this out.

Sam
Esri
0 Kudos