Layers not drawing in ArcMap, but export to JPEG

01-30-2020 10:06 AM
GraceKeyes
New Contributor II

One of my co-workers is working with a map with two basemaps: Esri's World Imagery and Esri's World Street map. When the basemaps are turned off, his other layers draw (a couple point and polygon feature classes). When the basemaps are turned on, the layers are not visible and do not draw. However, when I export the map to a JPEG, all the layers are visible and labeled. 

What I've tried: 

- Check the properties for each basemap to ensure they don't have scaling requirements. 

- Clearing the display cache. 

Could it be that ArcMap is overpowered by the two world basemaps? I have a hunch it's just too much data to process quickly. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi Grace, 

Several things you can try: 

1. Many drawing errors such as this one are sometimes a results of projection issues. Try to reproject your data to another coordinate system (preferably Web Mercator, so it would be with the same projection as the basemaps). 

2. Export your data to another format (e.g. feature class, shapefile) and test again.

3. Disable the labels - does it make a difference? if yes then you know it's a labeling issue.

Hope it helps,

Uri

0 Kudos