Offset multiple lines that follow same path

01-22-2013 07:38 AM
AaronGruber
New Contributor II
Using Arcmap 10.1, is it possible to draw multiple lines on the same path, then have them automatically offset to be displayed?  It would save so much time to not have to manually offset every line.  Also have one layer as a quick reference that shows the line is there, and another that expands to show the offset and how many?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20952[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20955[/ATTACH]

The use is for duct in the ground.  Not everyone needs to see that there are 2 or 3 ducts there, but just if something is, and it clutters the map having it all showed, all the time.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WadeLobb
Occasional Contributor
Hi Aaron

There may be multiple ways of doing this but I will suggest what I think will be the easiest for you. I am guessing you have two or more lines that are on top of each other and want to offset them each a bit different so they can all be seen.

To do this go to the - symbol properties - Hit the edit symbol - Make sure the type drop down box at the top says "Cartographic Line Symbol" then click the Line Properties tab - In here you can set an offset in the box (positive or negative) so set the first line to say 5 second to 10 third to 15 and so on.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aaron.gruber

Thank you for the quick reply.  I kind of see how that could work, but the symbols I am using have two layers, and I can see how to offset both layers, but not multiple lines.  Also I have to be able to have the end points still snap to the original feature.  Would this be possible?
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
You may have to consider changing your symbology to get an offset in appearance.  Here's two links to threads on another forum that discuss the matter.  The first appears to be closest to your objective.

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/37777/how-to-represent-overlapping-lines-in-arcgis-10-1
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/1493/rendering-overlapping-lines/1495#1495
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: melanie_summers

Hi Aaron,

You may want to consider using Representations, specifically the geometric effect, Offset, that allows you to offset the line in a specified direction.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos