Other than ArcGIS Basemap ?

01-28-2016 07:43 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Are there other basemap that can I use to add them to my ArcMap ? I do know how to use add data, add basemap and add data from arcgis online.

What I am looking to see if there is a cemetery layer for Colorado ? Has anyone ever mapped it ?

Any suggest would be appreciate it.

Would a cemetery be considering own by the county ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

If you just need points, you can find cemeteries withing the Census Bureau's MTDB - TIGER/Line Shapefile, 2014, state, Colorado, Point Landmark State-based Shapefile - Data.gov

Some of the more common landmark types include area landmarks such as airports, cemeteries, parks, mountain peaks/summits, schools, and churches and other religious institutions.
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

If you search where MTFCC = "K2582", that should pull all of the cemeteries in the dataset. It looks like they just captured the largest of the largest as landmarks, so this ds probably wont be of any help.

UPDATE:

Another thing you can try, at the county level, the property appraiser sites. For example, Denver County posts a parcel layer:

Denver Open Data Catalog: Parcels

Here, you can dig in and check something like D_CLASS_CN in the shapefile. It seems cemeteries are classified as "cemetery building" and maybe also as "mortuaries".

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. I checked the one you point me to and download it and I can see there are some cemeteries on the attribute but the one I was looking for wasn't existed in Chafee County, Colorado.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I would check out that county's property appraiser site and see if they make their GIS data accessible. If they don't, you can always call and ask... they might be able to send you an FTP link, or something like that. Each county may handle db structure differently, too.

I'm not sure if some regulatory body in Colorado would have this better represented at the state level (dept. of health maybe?). Worst case scenario, if you can obtain a list with addresses, you can geocode and create a layer yourself.

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Robert Pollock

Have a look at the "Find A Grave" site query for Chaffee country Colorado

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=4&CSst=7&CScnty=248

If there is a georeference to it, the listing will have a "Map" tab link to a Google Maps API listing.  You can verify and collect the points that way.

Stuart

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for that information ! Quite interesting site.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos