Snap Tips not displaying

05-17-2011 03:12 PM
ChrisBacon
New Contributor
Hello,
    I can't seem to get my snapping to work properly.  I have "Use Snapping" checked and I am editing a feature, but I never get the tool tip to show, nor will it snap by just clicking while hovering over the snap point (such as an endpoint).  The only way I can get anything to snap is to use the shortcut keys while hovering over the snap point (such as Ctrl+F6 while hovering over a point).  Did I just install this bad, or is there a setting I am missing?

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LisaStanners
Esri Contributor
It sounds like you have not opened the Snapping options dialog yet.
Click on Snapping on the snapping toolbar to open the drop menu. then clck Options...
In this dialog you can increase the Tolerance to a higher number so you the cursor searches a larger distance to snap. Also make sure the check box for "Show Tips" is checked.
Thanks,
Lisa Stanners
0 Kudos
KevinBlake
New Contributor
Snap Tips not displaying when moving a shared node using the topology edit tool on the topology toolbar.  It does not show the Snap Tip Layer Name and Type when moving the shared node, but does show the tip when moving a vertice.  When using the editor toolbar and moving a vertice or shared node it does show the snap tip on what layer it is snapping too.  This is the case with polygons and lines, and a point layer it does not work either.  Tried snapping to all different layers and still nothing. We have removed the topology and recreated and still does not show.  We have used a shapefile, file geodatabase and SQL Server geodatabse, and on multiple computers and different users.  So, the main questions is why does the show snap tip not show when using the topology edit tool (shared node)?  We are using ArcMap 10 sp2.
0 Kudos
LisaStanners
Esri Contributor
Hi Kevin,
You are correct, the snap tips do not show. this has been fixed in the 10.1 release with some changes to the way topology elements get moved. In the mean time if you hold down the 's' key as you move vertices you should see the snap tips and symbols.

Lisa
0 Kudos