Symbology: Layer Properties

11-12-2014 09:08 AM
LisaColson
New Contributor III

When creating a classified legend in the Symbology tab, there are two columns, Range and Label. I swear range used to tell me in more detail the true range of the data values. This way, if I want labels without decimal places (or fewer decimal places than the original data), the range column still maintained a greater number of decimal places and never showed over lapping values from one class to the next. It helped me know for sure if, for example, 25 was in the 3rd class or 4th class. In other words:

24.0001 - 25.0

25.0001 - 26.0

or

24.0000 - 24.99999

25.0000 - 25.99999

Without decimals these would both say 24 - 25 and 25 - 26. Now, if I manually enter class break values, the decimals disappear in the range column. Why?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LisaColson
New Contributor III

What I really find frustrating is when the label column has more decimal places than the range column. That's just not right.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

What happens if you check "show class ranges using feature values", or click on the advanced button?

0 Kudos
LisaColson
New Contributor III

Where is the advanced button?

I am looking at floating point raster files in ArcMap 10.2. Under the symbology tab of the layer properties, I request Show: Classified. Here, there is a check box option for "show class breaks using cell values," but it allows overlapping class values. This classification tool just doesn't work the way it used to work. I also checked ArcMap 10.3 and it functions the same way.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hey Lisa, I didn't realize you were working with raster data! Your original post didn't mention it, so I assumed we were talking about features. Anyway, I opened two raster layers in ArcMap. One is floating point, and the other is integer. The floating point layer had values in the ranges field with several decimal places (see screenshot), and the integer only had decimal places in the label field, as you're describing, so it led me to wonder--are you sure you data isn't integer? Also, I do notice that the floating point has overlapping ranges, but not labels, which is weird.

0 Kudos
LisaColson
New Contributor III

Yes, it starts out this way, but then click on classify and manually change the class breaks to whole numbers (no decimals). Then watch what happens to the range values. Having the range values start out overlapping (when they never used to) is annoying, but it gets worse (in my opinion) once the class breaks are manually set. I believe the precision in the ranges should not be altered even if the precision for the labels is reduced. Do you see what I'm talking about now?

0 Kudos