Collector and Elevations

Jump to solution
07-03-2018 10:51 AM
ChrisFranks
New Contributor

Are there any plans to capture elevations in future releases of Collector?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Chris,

Yes. With the Aurora Project we are adding support for capturing Z values directly into a z-enabled geometry. With the initial release, the elevation values will be MSL but as the capability comes to our underlying runtime, we will be adding vertical transformations within the location profile settings so that we can store HAE values.

The first release of Collector (Aurora) will be in Q3 on the iOS platform and Q4 on the Android platform.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Chris,

Yes. With the Aurora Project we are adding support for capturing Z values directly into a z-enabled geometry. With the initial release, the elevation values will be MSL but as the capability comes to our underlying runtime, we will be adding vertical transformations within the location profile settings so that we can store HAE values.

The first release of Collector (Aurora) will be in Q3 on the iOS platform and Q4 on the Android platform.

Thanks,

Jeff

BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently using the Aurora beta.  Can you elaborate on current and planned functionality for elevation capture and vertical transformation?  I'm specifically interested in what is required for this in the feature service set-up, and how that is different than the classic Collector.

• What support is there now for z-enabled point services?
  • When will z-enabled services be supported?
  • Will the Z value replace the need for the ESRI_Altitude field I've been using in classic Collector, and subsequent Project Z/recreate geometry tools?  Assuming so if I can get an ellipsoidal based elevation straight into the Z value.
  • Once vertical transformations are available, will I get both the HAE and re-projected elevation values in the attributes?
  • When will vertical transformations be available?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Jeff, 

Any word on adding support for capturing Z values directly into a z-enabled geometry?  Collector is working great but the need to perform post transformations on the GPS metadata to get true 3D data points can be problematic.  It would also be great to see the actual elevation in the field rather then the HAE data.  We are using a Leica GG04+ with RTK.

Lance 

0 Kudos
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I never got a reply from ESRI, but this is possible now (with certain GNSS receivers?).  We've used these procedures with our EOS Arrow receivers:

https://eos-gnss.com/how-to-record-orthometric-heights-in-collector-aurora/

https://www.anatumfieldsolutions.com/How-to-Setup-Esris-New-Collector-to-Capture-Orthometric-Heights...

0 Kudos