ArcGIS and non-ArcGIS softwares in Model Builder

09-23-2018 04:22 PM
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor
  • No worries if this doesn't work I'll go back to being an intern at 50 but here goes:

I am interested in creating a couple of Model Builder type apps based on State Highways, ramps, and non Highway routes  that would create an intersection points layer.   I am curious if Model Builder can work with multiple formats of data as well as integrate custom applications and their end results as part of the procedure?

Basic workflow for bigger apps:

1)  IN ArcGIS 10.6.x create Intersection points layer based on State Highways intersecting roads and add X/Y coordinates from ArcTool Box Features options.   (Would also be nice to add Intersection Points layer using  System Highway Ramps layer to create points layer for intersections with roads, but can see this not being possible due to different attributes in Ramps layer and non-compatibility with Intersection tool?)

2)  Export dbf file of points layer to .csv to be used in custom State Highways system application (Conversion tool that converts X/Y (Latitude/Longitude values) to create Odometer and State Highway System Postmile values database in .csv format.  (Application is based on State Highway segments and uses Dynamic Segmentation to create postmile and Odometer values)

3)  Edit .csv file in MS Excel 97-2003 to delete extraneous fields and put in required fields of DYNSEG_PRE, DYNSEG_SUF, and DYNSEG_PM (equal to Dynamic Segmentation Postmile).  CSV file will have Postmile fields for intersections on  BOTH Right and Left side of State Highway network.  Save file (if desired name file with side of Route (e.g StRte###_PMOdom_Right.csv) and then save as .csv file.

4)  Add .csv file to ArcGIS 10.6.1.  Run through Postmile Validation Wizard (also based on Dynamic Segmentation and postmile values in State Highway network) to create Points layer with Postmile Values.

5)  Open original .csv file from #2 and edit so that DYNSEG_PM vales are from other side of route (i.e. if original DNYSEGM_PM values were from right side, then copy-paste left values to DYNSEG_PM field) and save with name of file for other side of route (e.g., StRte###.PMOdom_Left.csv)  and do same procedure in #4 (add to ArcGIS and use Postmile Validation Wizard tool).

Will send screen shots if need be but the core thing are whether multiple Non GIS  apps can be used?

Can guess that this isn't a one button-does-everything given that I'm working with a couple of custom apps and I need to do editing to create requisite filed(s) for other custom apps.

Will send screenshots upon request.

0 Kudos
0 Replies