Copy and Paste into same feature class with modelbuilder?

Jump to solution
12-20-2017 10:53 AM
DCWORK_GIS
New Contributor III

Can anyone suggest tools I can use to copy & paste features (points) into the same feature class using modelbuilder? I would also want to move the duplicated points to an X,Y offset if possible. I've been poking around in the toolbox, but I can't seem to find a tool or tools that would allow me to do all this. It's easy enough to do manually, but I want to make it even easier...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nothing in the editor toolbox  http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/editing/an-overview-of-the-editing-toolbox.htm

you could copy the existing feature class using the Copy tool, and Append the copy to the original, but there is no builtin 'move' or 'shift' for vector points without scripting. 

In short... little would be gained trying to do this outside an edit session

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nothing in the editor toolbox  http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/editing/an-overview-of-the-editing-toolbox.htm

you could copy the existing feature class using the Copy tool, and Append the copy to the original, but there is no builtin 'move' or 'shift' for vector points without scripting. 

In short... little would be gained trying to do this outside an edit session

DCWORK_GIS
New Contributor III

Thanks much Dan. Sorry for the delayed thanks! Holidays...

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

there is no builtin 'move' or 'shift' for vector points without scripting.

Au contraire my friend, the Calculate Field tool can easily shift point features. I suppose it comes down to what you define as 'scripting'... 

Calculate Field examples—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

# Expression:
shiftXCoordinate(!SHAPE!)
# Code Block:
def shiftXCoordinate(shape):
  shiftValue = 100
  point = shape.getPart(0)
  point.X += shiftValue
  return point‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that's a script