Edit a model does not open Model Builder

05-22-2018 05:28 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

It happened now a several times that I created a model in Model Builder (ArcMap 10.5.1) and when I try later to edit it, the model builder is not opening. I tried to open the affected models from ArcMap and also from ArcCatalog but without success. It might be that I had minimized the model builder window when closing the mxd file but I also closed all other windows hoping to find the small window for the model builder somewhere. No chance.

Does anybody have an idea if there is a way to recover these models somehow? I wasted already so much time on redoing models that suddenly didn't open again. 😞

Edit: I was able to open the model in ArcGIS Pro, saved it under a new name, exported the toolbox from ArcGIS Pro to 10.5 and was then able to open the model in ArcGIS again, only that I had to fix some of the processes again. I would still be interested if there is an easier way... 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
SofiaPeleli
New Contributor

Really thank you!! 
I knew ALT+SHIFT, that did not succeed on showing me the edit window, but not the WINDOWS and arrows. 
Thank you again ❤️

0 Kudos
DustinFrey
New Contributor

You need to save the tool as a .tbx file and then add it into your toolbox. Once it is in your toolbox you can click edit and the model should appear and can be edited.

Dustin

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

You don't save a model as a tool but you can add it to a toolbox, yes. That's from where I tried to edit it but the window with the model builder is just not opening for some of my models. I think though that it is an issue of visibility when not closing a model but just minimizing the window. It often happens to me that I have to minimize other windows first to find the window of the model. But in the above described case I couldn't find it anywhere on my screen. 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Added an Idea: Toolbox Doctor for tbx files

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Another reason not to minimize anything Time for another monitor

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I already have two ...

0 Kudos
DrewSmith7
New Contributor

I was having this same issue.  I moved the Windows Taskbar to the left of my screen (right-click on an empty area of the Windows taskbar and choose "taskbar settings" and then choose "left" or one of the other positions from the  "Taskbar location on screen" selection box) and the model builder window showed up and I was able to resize it and edit my model at that point.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Aaaah, that's a good idea! Thank you!

0 Kudos
ctalma01Talmadge
New Contributor

This totally worked for us!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another approach to this issue of the little window hiding under the taskbar is to set your taskbar to hide when you are not using it -- and reclaim that valuable strip of screen real estate!

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-auto-hide-taskbar-windows-10-april-update