Model builder - drag and drop

Jump to solution
02-26-2015 04:37 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm just starting out using model builder.  I have created a tool however, when I use it, the inputs do not allow dragging and dropping of features from the TOC into the tool GUI.  Is there a way I can turn on this functionality?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

When you make a parameter from a pre-made tool (e.g. Merge, Add Field, etc.) the parameter type is automatically set. So, if you make a model parameter out of the input box in the Merge tool, it automatically creates a parameter in your tool dialog that looks just like that in the Merge tool, that you can drag and drop into like usual, because it has chosen the parameter data type for you (check out the help page for each tool to see the parameter data types).

You can get into trouble creating your own parameters from model variables because you have to choose the data type yourself. Say you want to drag and drop some data from your table of contents and you choose Feature Class for the parameter data type - doesn't work! But, Feature Layer parameter data type does allow drag and drop, so try that.

A good way to get started figuring this out is to find a tool with the type of parameter action you're looking for, look up its help page, find the parameter data type, and use that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ben,

First of all there is a place called Model Builder where this question would be more at its place. See Moving Content . It may be relevant which version of ArcGIS you are using and the type of data you try to drag and drop may also be relevant.

As to your question... I don't think there is an option to switch dragging and dropping off. I can drag and drop data from the TOC and from the Catalog window into the Model Builder window. As an alternative you can double click on the tool and specify the data in the tool dialog or use the "plus" button on the Model Builder window to add data.

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

To clarify, the question is about dragging and dopping data into the tool GUI - i.e. once the tool has been saved into a toolbox, not dragging into the model builder window.

(thanks for head-up on the group - I'd been browsing through spaces to find somewhere for it)

0 Kudos
VandanaRaghunathan
New Contributor III

Hello Ben,

Which tool are you working with? What is the input data parameter for the tool? Does it match the type of data that you are trying to drag into the GUI input?

Thanks,

Vandana

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

When you make a parameter from a pre-made tool (e.g. Merge, Add Field, etc.) the parameter type is automatically set. So, if you make a model parameter out of the input box in the Merge tool, it automatically creates a parameter in your tool dialog that looks just like that in the Merge tool, that you can drag and drop into like usual, because it has chosen the parameter data type for you (check out the help page for each tool to see the parameter data types).

You can get into trouble creating your own parameters from model variables because you have to choose the data type yourself. Say you want to drag and drop some data from your table of contents and you choose Feature Class for the parameter data type - doesn't work! But, Feature Layer parameter data type does allow drag and drop, so try that.

A good way to get started figuring this out is to find a tool with the type of parameter action you're looking for, look up its help page, find the parameter data type, and use that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ditto on Xander's comments

You can drag and drop from ArcToolbox tools...visually, that is the easiest for me, just have Arctoolbox open, expand the tree and find the tool that you want and drag it onto modelbuilder

0 Kudos