Error from online layer load

Jump to solution
03-11-2022 11:57 AM
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

When loading the meta-data for a map service using LoadAllLayersAndTables we see this error:

JeremyBridges_0-1647028057021.jpeg

After digging around in the service's meta data for several hours, we discovered the issue was with the line width of one of the layers. For some odd reason, it had been published with a negative width. Not sure how that is possible, but the main concern for me is this error message. It is terrible at communicating information that would allow the user to figure out the problem. No layer names, no information about symbology. Lots of repetition of metadata and sublayers and "width must be 0 or greater". We don't even know what "width" it is talking about.

Sorry to rant, but this method call is so broad (loading all meta data from a map service), it needs to be specific about the layer, field, renderer, or any other part of the JSON it was parsing when it encountered the error. Please add this as soon as possible for this error. And please consider adding at least the layer name to all such errors that are possible while parsing service meta-data. Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

We understand and acknowledge the trouble you are facing with layer loading errors. We have an issue in our backlog to improve the error reporting mechanism. I have added this use case to our issue. There is no timeline yet when we will add this support but more use cases like this definitely help us prioritize them more critically.

Thanks,

Preeti

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

We understand and acknowledge the trouble you are facing with layer loading errors. We have an issue in our backlog to improve the error reporting mechanism. I have added this use case to our issue. There is no timeline yet when we will add this support but more use cases like this definitely help us prioritize them more critically.

Thanks,

Preeti

JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

Sounds good. I'm glad the teams are planning to address this. May I also suggest: anything that implements ILoadable should over-explain why they couldn't load. There's a lot of possible reasons for a failure during operations like this, so we will need as much info as possible to solve issues that arise. Thank you!

0 Kudos