How do I disable zoom/pan animation?

03-10-2017 01:17 AM
BjørnarSundsbø1
Occasional Contributor II

In the Runtime for WPF I was able to disable animation of zoom and pan by changing ZoomDuration and PanDuration to 0ms. I felt this resulted in a much faster experience navigating the map, and the users agreed. However, in the Runtime for .NET, this doesn't seem possible. MapView performs a zoom with a hard coded value of true for animate for the core map, and I'm not able to affect what this value can be. Is there any way I can interact with the core map to disable the animation, or at least overriding the duration value? Navigating my old map in the WPF implementation is so much more responsive than the same basemap in the .NET implementation.

I expect the runtime will not get more releases, and v100 is not ready for our needs, so we will stick with the previous release. But at least this is a feature request for the v100 API. Animations can be nice, but should at least be configurable or optional  

17 Replies
BjørnarSundsbø1

If you find the secret, let me know. You could make part of the API as open source, and suddenly have a lot more available resources

Earlier today i tried performing a pan over slow remote desktop connection, and the post pan float animation behaviour was rather strange. Option to disable would be great.

dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
BjørnarSundsbø1

Nice. Requesting feature before bed, and having it available before I wake up in the morning. Convincing myself that is how the story went, I can get used to that 

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Actually I grabbed my time machine and went back in time and added it to 100.1. We aim to please our customers that much!

0 Kudos
BjørnarSundsbø1

Rock on!

0 Kudos
BjørnarSundsbø1

I know I should be satisfied with your previous response about trying to put this task to a release in the near futer, and hope this reminder don't bump me back to the end of the backlog  I still appreciate the previous response, so don't get me wrong. While I don't know to what extent I can influence priority, I thought I'd give some context to my repeated reminder/request. My assumption is that the secret to unlimited resources is still elusive... I just thought I'd add these details if it can make a difference between 100.3 and 100.4 

Our customers work with emergency dispatch, where seconds can help save a life, or keep a fire from spreading out of control. What most people consider a sexy animation, can serve as an added stressor for the operator trying to shave off seconds in their work. In the past, we used WPF runtime for these customers, which allowed to set Zoom and Pan duration. We got a request to reduce the default animation, and ended up at 150ms. This was still considered way to slow, and we ended up turning this off, and the customer was very pleased Whenever we upgrade them to the latest runtime, this missing feature is guaranteed to raise eyebrows and stress levels. I was just reminded of this case today, where one customer is tweaking ArcGIS Server to reduce response times, so I thought I'd provide the information. I don't know how many other API customers work in this field, but if there are, there are sure to be other interested parties besides me

BjørnarSundsbø1

Morten Nielsen‌ any news for a schedule for this? I'm currently comparing an old application using the first runtime for WPF with 100.3, and the interaction with no animation is so much more responsive than what I experience in later versions. Also, see my arguments above.

0 Kudos
BjørnarSundsbø1

I also notice that SceneView zoom animation is twice as slow as MapView. I would love to be able to control the duration of both views.

0 Kudos