Chapter 9 Page 355?

Jump to solution
03-31-2014 08:11 AM
JohnWhite
New Contributor II
Greetings -

I am using IE 9 as my browser. I realize there are some issues with ArcGIS.Com and IE.

I received a message on the Add Layer from File dialog box that I can only import files with less that 750 features in them. The file I am trying to import only has 170 features and IE will not allow this. I am trying to import Parks.zip which is step J in Exercise 9b on page 355. The other files imported with a problem.

I'll try Google Chrome or Firefox but I am curious as to why this is a problem in IE when I am clearly trying to import a file with much less than 750 features. I also did as the instructions state and clicked on the Generalize features for web display radio button. I also tried with the Keep original features and got the same message.

Should I just not be using IE at all?

Thanks,

John White
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnWhite
New Contributor II
Tim,

I'm using Google Chrome instead and everything is working great.

Thanks,

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi John,

I haven't been able to reproduce your problem with IE9. I did notice that the error message you attached said "This file is too large to import and display in your web browser (Internet Explorer 7 or 8)." Just want to make doubly sure you're using IE9. I'll try and find out from ArcGIS Online people here if they're aware of problems with IE9 failing to import shapefiles. In the meantime, see how things go with Chrome or Firefox. If you like, send us your parks shapefile (and the others too if you want) as an email attachment to UnderstandingGIS at esri dot com. Then we can test your exact data to see if we hit the problem, too.

Thanks,

Tim Ormsby
Esri
0 Kudos
JohnWhite
New Contributor II
Tim,

I'm using Google Chrome instead and everything is working great.

Thanks,

John
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Sounds good, thanks for letting us know.

Tim
0 Kudos