ESRI Imagery basemap attribution text

Jump to solution
10-17-2012 03:34 PM
BarbaraBroussard
New Contributor II
I don't see that anyone else has asked this question so perhaps I missed a step.  For the map in Lesson 8, how do I get the ESRI data attribution text on the imagery basemap to either go away, appear smaller, or move out of the way?  The imagery in my inset maps is mostly filled with the text and it looks terrible.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Barbara,

you didn't miss a step. These Service Layer Credits are new in version 10.1. I assume that's what you're using. You can read about them in the What's new in ArcMap topic of the online help.

In Data View, the service credits are represented by a fairly unobtrusive icon in the lower right corner of the map. When you switch to Layout view, the icon gets replaced by a bunch of text. Looks bad, as you said, especially in a small data frame (or five).

Here's what you should do:

1. If necessary, put the map in Layout View.
2. From the main menu, choose Insert > Dynamic Text > Service Layer Credits.

This will take the text out of the data frames and put it in a text element on the page. You can't delete this text element. (If you try, the text will jump back into the data frames.) So what you do next is kind of up to you. One option is to copy and paste the other data credits (City of LA Dept of Public Works, etc.) into the same element as the Service Layer Credits. To open the element properties, right-click the text element and choose Properties. A second sneaky option is to open the properties for the Service Layer text, click Change Symbol, and set the text to No Color.

Attached graphic shows an example of the first solution. I copied the existing data credits into the Service Layer element and moved that big text block into the lower left corner of the layout. I moved the scale bar to the right to make room for it.

When we update the book, we'll fix this and other 10.1 issues, but let us know if does the trick for you.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Barbara,

you didn't miss a step. These Service Layer Credits are new in version 10.1. I assume that's what you're using. You can read about them in the What's new in ArcMap topic of the online help.

In Data View, the service credits are represented by a fairly unobtrusive icon in the lower right corner of the map. When you switch to Layout view, the icon gets replaced by a bunch of text. Looks bad, as you said, especially in a small data frame (or five).

Here's what you should do:

1. If necessary, put the map in Layout View.
2. From the main menu, choose Insert > Dynamic Text > Service Layer Credits.

This will take the text out of the data frames and put it in a text element on the page. You can't delete this text element. (If you try, the text will jump back into the data frames.) So what you do next is kind of up to you. One option is to copy and paste the other data credits (City of LA Dept of Public Works, etc.) into the same element as the Service Layer Credits. To open the element properties, right-click the text element and choose Properties. A second sneaky option is to open the properties for the Service Layer text, click Change Symbol, and set the text to No Color.

Attached graphic shows an example of the first solution. I copied the existing data credits into the Service Layer element and moved that big text block into the lower left corner of the layout. I moved the scale bar to the right to make room for it.

When we update the book, we'll fix this and other 10.1 issues, but let us know if does the trick for you.

Tim
0 Kudos