How do I get my data to show together

03-05-2016 10:19 AM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

I have a point file and boundary file that are all projected to the same projection...

Except that I cannot see them together. each file shows up if I do ZOOM to LAYER, but not on the same screen.

What am I missing? I have attached both files

Thank you.

C

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The coordinate system of "TrafficAccidents" shapefile is still not correct. DO NOT use a Projected Coordinate System for this.

Use Geographic Coordinate System.

Open ArcCatalog.

Navigate to the folder containing "TrafficAccidents" shapefile.

Right-click the shapefile > Properties.

In properties dialog, navigate to Spatial Reference > Edit.

Type "GCS_North_American_1983" in search box. Among the filtered coordinate systems, choose GCS_North_American_1983 under Geographic Coordinate System.

Think Location
0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

I will do that.

In short, can you please tell me why we should not project? I would like to understand for future reference.

Thank you

C

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In Projection Coordinate System, the units are linear (feet/meters) like in a 2D Map.

In Geographic Coordinate System the units are angular (Decimal Degrees/ Radians) like in a 3D Globe. Looking at the extent of TrafficAccidents shapefile, we can say that the extent is too small to be in linear units. They have to be in angular units like Decimal Degrees. So we are choosing a GCS for defining its coordinate system.

Once defined, you can reproject it using Project—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop .

Also check the following link.

Projection basics for GIS professionals—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.. It worked... Tks a lot