layers

10-02-2014 06:08 AM
danielladlow
New Contributor II

Hello

i have drawn out a layer that covers an area of properties, now i want to add some data to that layer, how do i add a batch of around 3000 properties to that layer?. i have the datasheet ready and the layer, but i do not know how to add them together. (the drawn layer holds no information at the moment)

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

I think you need to elaborate a bit more on your property feature class/layer that you created.  You are saying there are no fields populated?  Are there fields created within the feature class?

I have a feeling you are going to have a lot of work ahead of you to join your spreadsheet data to your newly created feature class especially without having any attribute information for your properties.  Ideally, when creating a new feature class you need to have a unique identifier included, such as a rollnumber or PIN number for properties.  Then using that unique identifier you can JOIN it with another source of data (another feature class or table) based on that unique identifier.  If you have another feature class that already has the unique identifier and it intersects your new feature class you can perform a SPATIAL JOIN to transfer the unique identifier and other attributes from one feature class to another.

The key is you need that unique identifier within your new feature class to join with your spreadsheet.  You will have to do it manually unless the OBJECTID's in your new feature class match the record ID in your spreadsheet.  If so you could probably do an attribute join based on that, but they must match perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Cory

danielladlow
New Contributor II

that helps alot thank you, i think i will need to start again with my layers.  i will be build again with unique ref, can you import excel or csv file to the attribute table or do you have to manually add the data ?

Thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Dan,

As long as your attribute table has the same unique identifier as the record of interest in the excel or csv file, you will be okay.  You can also import the excel or csv into GIS as a table if need be.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Cory