ModelBuilder Question

Jump to solution
01-06-2016 07:18 PM
KennethKirkeby
New Contributor III

This is part of my homework for GIS class. From within ModelBuilder:

I'm taking an Excel file with XY coordinates and select all points based on certain criteria. I need to find what points fall within a certain radius of various cities points. I can create both sets of data. My question is on how to combine the two sets of data into one shapefile.

I can do this in ArcMap but not sure how to do it with a toolbox tool for ModelBuilder. Just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

MB_Test.JPG

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks ... Ken

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you can do it manually, then write down the bubbles in order and don't worry about the modelbuilder stuff.... the nudge being, do you want all the points that you selected in the upper model portion to be selected within those of the buffer in the lower?  If so doesn't that sound like a select by location? or perhaps a spatial join? If either or, then you will know that manually, the output from one step becomes the input to another (ie your points within the buffer) (sorry,, I teach so I can only nudge...hopefully others will also nudge only )

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you can do it manually, then write down the bubbles in order and don't worry about the modelbuilder stuff.... the nudge being, do you want all the points that you selected in the upper model portion to be selected within those of the buffer in the lower?  If so doesn't that sound like a select by location? or perhaps a spatial join? If either or, then you will know that manually, the output from one step becomes the input to another (ie your points within the buffer) (sorry,, I teach so I can only nudge...hopefully others will also nudge only )

KennethKirkeby
New Contributor III

" do you want all the points that you selected in the upper model portion to be selected within those of the buffer in the lower? "

Yes.

Think this is the nudge I need.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor
KennethKirkeby
New Contributor III

Excellent article. Thanks.

0 Kudos