Welcome to the DPS YTC, Why do you want to spend your Saturday learning GIS?

10-09-2015 01:38 PM
Randall_ERaymond
Occasional Contributor III

Hello All

Welcome to the Detroit Public Schools Youth Technology Corps - Saturday Academy of GIS! We are all so pleased that you have joined this program. Please write a short response about why you wanted to become involved in this learning activity.

17 Replies
MakiyaMontgomery
New Contributor

The Reason I Wanted To Come Was Because I Like Making Things And Dealing With Technology and I Heard That This Is A Really Good Program That Can Give Me Access To So Many Opportunity's In The World.  

RamsesHereford
New Contributor

I wanted to join GIS because it seemed like something new to do and productive instead of just wasting my weekend every week. Also when I came last week I really became interested because the starting salary for a starting GIS career was $55,000! This was a pro because when I grow up I want to be able to have a stable job that pays well and GIS is perfect for my ideal future. In addition, I had never heard of GIS and I am a very curious person so it was impossible to resist this offer.

BrittanyMorgan-Dibbles
New Contributor

The reason I wanted to come to this GIS program because its different and makes me use my brain it helps me step out of my comfort zone. At first I didn't want to go because I don't any thing about making make and or the concepts of maps period. but with encouragement of my mom and my teacher Ms. William, my world history teacher, I decided I'll go. I was under the impression that it was only a one day thing and I was only going to come the first day but the concept of making maps was really interesting. the first day I wanted to give up because I didn't get any of the work but then a lady with braces told me to not give up and that they will explain everything. also that its easy to quit but its rewarding to win. I expect to learn a lot of life changing thing, and to be able to look at map in a different way    

JustinMason1
New Contributor

I spend my Saturdays at GIS because I think it is a great skill to have in today's society. Many jobs require GIS maps whether it what you can see above ground, or the things you can't see below. It can help people communicate with each other during building projects and it can inform the public. The opportunity could also give me another job opportunity in the future or just extra knowledge for the future as a good skill to have.

CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi everybody! Great to see the ideas and energy! GIS helps us change the world. Let's do it!

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

It was great to meet everyone today. Here is a word cloud of all your responses so far!

wordleJ.jpg

KaylaRicumstrict
New Contributor

I want to spend my Saturdays learning GIS because this is a good oppurtunity to learn something that is new and something that is different from other skills. Also, I would like to learn more about maps and technology, and their importance in our daily lives.

AndrewBaker
New Contributor

I want to spend my Saturdays doing GIS, because I want to become qualified to do many things, so ill have many choices on what I want to do when I get out of high school.  This seemed like a fun experience