Is there any way to do a live end-to-end OSDU data transfer demo involving ArcGIS Pro?

2 weeks ago
PeterWang
New Contributor III

My employer is an organization which maintains computing infrastructure for Oil & Gas companies... private cloud, basically. 

We have been involved with OSDU and have figured out how to implement the myriad of back-end services required in an OSDU installation.

We can't, however, identify any O&G software user applications which have actually implemented OSDU commercially! We would like to give end-to-end demos to customers, where we transfer data between applications... ArcGIS Pro to/from SLB Petrel, or ArcGIS Pro to/from PetroSys, for example.

Does anyone know of software apps that are fully OSDU enabled? Is ArcGIS Pro OSDU enabled, is such functionality commercialized yet?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bboulmay
Esri Contributor

Peter, Thank you for asking the question.  Esri has also been supporting the OSDU effort and working together with several industry peers we have helped develop the OSDU Geospatial Consumption Zone - also called the GCZ.  The GCZ generates a geospatial index of everything in OSDU and immediately makes it available to ArcGIS Pro, Petrel, and any other tools that support reading map services.

This is live and available now as part of the OSDU.  It is also available in the IBM and AWS commercial OSDU offerings, and will be in the Microsoft ADME offering at the next release.    You can download it today and use with any OSDU version past M14 (M22 is the current version)   

You can find everything you need to install/configure the GCZ online here https://community.opengroup.org/osdu/platform/consumption/geospatial/-/tree/master 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  bboulmay@esri.com

Tags (2)
PeterWang
New Contributor III

Hi Brian, so my question is not so much about the back-end GCZ services, but about the application layer.

We're trying to figure out how to show value to customers who say they are interested in OSDU enablement of our computing platform by showing them a live demo... we're looking for the vendor geospatial and geoscience applications which actually are OSDU enabled, so that we can share data between application ecosystems in real time... not only geospatial (maps) but also wellbores in 3D, seismic data (2D/3D), production data, and on and on.

The problem is... I can't find any vendor apps that are OSDU enabled. I see hints of it here and there, on a few YouTubes, some of them years old, but when I send tickets to software help desks about this, they don't even reply. I'm sure their Level 1 people don't know what the h*** OSDU even is.

At some point, I'm fearing there may be "The Emperor Has No Clothes" moment... when the managers who have sent millions of dollars out to vendors and contractors and consortia realize that there is no immediate ROI because no application vendors have written and commercialized the final layer.

If there is one truth in the energy industry since the oil crash of 2014 / 2015, it is that shareholders demand cash flows returned to them, and managers have gotten very disciplined. I fear there could be an OSDU blowback.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and my perception is just an artifact of my advancing age and personal obsolescence, but on the other hand, I've been in the industry for 38 years, many of those years employed by these very software vendors, so probably I'm not wrong. 

If you know of any vendors who have implemented the final layer to actual implement GCZ, I'd like to know some names. We can communicate privately about this offline from the community.

0 Kudos