MapSAR_Ex

07-11-2012 09:56 AM
DonFerguson
New Contributor III
Hi All...

I have just finished a major update to the MapSAR_Ex project.  MapSAR_Ex expands on the capabilities of MapSAR by adding Search Theory and analytical tools.  You can download MapSAR_Ex from here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=53e2cc1e61364a5eb7a9b3ac8b8e944f

An incomplete tutorial is provided in the documentation which can also be downloaded from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17428269/MapSAR_Ex_Tutoral.pdf

A more complete tutorial is forthcoming.

cheers,
Don Ferguson
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsaacTait
New Contributor
I am running into a small problem installing MapSAR. I will describe in a second but first let me mention that I am on a MacBook Air 4G Ram 1.6Ghz i5 and OS X 10.7.4 running VMware Fusion 4.1.3 and Windows 7 64 bit (all my software is fully updated). I have ArcGIS 10 installed on my machine.

From the download link provided I am able to download the latest build. Right click and select Open With: Windows Explorer:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16299[/ATTACH]

The file is unpacked and I then transfer to the C:/ Drive from the downloads folder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16300[/ATTACH]

I navigate to the C:/ Drive and this is what my folder looks like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16301[/ATTACH]

The manual at this point indicates that the folder should look like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16303[/ATTACH]

Obviously the two do not match and I am unsure how to proceed from here. I was able to get the correct (at least according to the manual) file structure within the MapSAR_EX folder to "render" correctly once but I ended up having to delete the whole thing and start over because I did not upload to the C:/ Drive first. (when I tried moved the folder to the C:/Drive the content within the scenarios and UTM files was still not displaying correctly (I had lots of red exclamation (!) points))...

Is this problem being caused by VMware? Or should I unzip with something other than Windows Explorer (I have 7Zip but I am unable to select it when Right Clicking then selecting Open With - even when I attempt to browse). Very strange indeed....
0 Kudos
GeorgeDurkee
Occasional Contributor
Imtait:

Hi. You're using Don Ferguson's extended MapSAR -- the Ex in the file name. I haven't yet used that and don't know the file structure. It's got a bunch of analysis tools and looks to be very good but the example screen shot is from the MapSAR User's Manual, It applies only to MapSAR.zip and should show that file structure. Are you intending to use Don's version? He's included documentation, but says it incomplete (and, as mentioned, I don't yet know what's missing).

If you're wanting to load the basic MapSAR that conforms to the manual, then go to mapsar.net > MapSAR (on the top bar) > fill out the form and be taken to the download page. Then follow the instructions in the manual as you've described. With luck, it should go correctly. I've installed using VMWare (to test it with both XP and other license levels of ArcGIS) and it worked fine (though not on a Mac, but don't see that making a difference...) .

EDIT: after you begin the MapSAR.zip installation, you'll get to the screen you show in #4, then you'll unzip the UTM folder (Localized Versions) and unzip the UTM zone for your area. That'll give you the mapsar.mxd and folder for a specific New Search. Rename that folder to identify your search.

Post a note here or write help@mapsar.net if there's problems.

Thanks,

George
0 Kudos
IsaacTait
New Contributor
Thank you very much! Looks like I got my .zip files mixed up.

It's working now!
0 Kudos
DonFerguson
New Contributor III
Let me know if you need any assistance with MapSAR_Ex.

thanks,
Don
0 Kudos
DonFerguson
New Contributor III
In this latest version I repaired a bug in the 10.0 version.  Version difference are indicated with either a 101 (for 10.1) or 100 (for 10.0).  I also added more error checking throughout many of the tools.

For our Northern friends in Canada I added options for kilometers (in addition to miles) for Statistical Search Area as well as added a few more projections.  Now have projections for UTM zones 1 - 22.

For this update you will want to replace the contents of C:\MapSAR_Ex.  Save any Incidents you created and replace content.  BTW...the incidents can be saved in any folder doesn't need to be C:\MapSAR_Ex.

If I hadn't mentioned it before, user can now simultaneously create a task assignment form, task specific field map and task specific GPX file for gps upload.

download from:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?owner=PaulDoherty&title=Using%20GIS%20in%20WiSAR

or

Dropbox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17428269/MapSAR_Ex.zip

Sorry for all the updates but you are my code buggers for things that I miss.  This gets the updates out to you quicker.

please let me know if you find any bugs, have any questions or comments.  If you need support during a SAR don't hesitate to e-mail or call.

e-mail: dferguso@mix.wvu.edu
cellphone: 304-290-9118

cheers,
Don Ferguson
0 Kudos