Topology AddIn Guinea Pig wanted

04-19-2017 08:00 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

On a monthly basis I create a bunch of topologys to make sure that my polygon layers don't overlap or have gaps (ESN). I also run a topology on my street layer to find street segments that aren't snapped. This process consists mostly of models.

Since I always try to help my Public safety brethren, I figured I compile my process in a Python AddIn, that "should be easy to use". I started a day ago and have the skeleton of the AddIn finished and now I am looking for a Guinea Pig (I am looking at you Chris Donohue, GISP & Joe Borgione ) to use it!

Latest Update:

- Created an official document: Topology Check Python AddIn (6/30/17) 

- Added Error message when the wrong feature is chosen for certain Checks (i.e. polygon feature is chosen for dangle check)

- Now works with ArcGIS Desktop Standard

- Latest test version that includes a polygon break check. This check make sure that your line features are broken when they intersect with a polygon feature. Just select the line feature and polygon feature in the TOC and run the check.

Dropbox - TopoAddIn.esriaddin  10.3.1 + version

Here is what you need:

ArcGIS Desktop Standard 10.3.1 or later versions

Here is how it works:

1. You would download the add in HERE. (10.1 version HERE )

2. Double click it and install it.

3. Open an MXD and add a polygon layer and a street layer.

4.The toolbar should be there but if it is not click on Customize -> Toolbars -> TopoCheck

5. Follow the steps in the screenshot!

As I said it is still a work in progress, especially the street dangle check.

Let me know what you think!

Tim

Tags (2)
77 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Since it seems to be in a stable condition, I might create a document instead of using the guinea pig thread.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Fun fact jborgion , apparently you can use the select tool and select a couple of streets and then run the dangle tool on just those streets (you still need to select the street layer in your table of contents). 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's cool Tim;  just tried it.  Before running the tool I created the dangle that was subsequently found.  It's the only one in the YourDangleErrors point feature class:

This is great feature for me; I can run it just on streets that are newly added and get them fixed asap.  Thanks!

ETA:  here is a perfect example.  Notice the M_DATE value (modified date) of the street that has the dangle...

Tim Witt

That should just about do it....
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

That just reminds me how I hate creating or modifying streets!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just hire this guy to do it for you! 

jborgion 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund
Occasional Contributor II

timw1984  I would like to demo this tool to my integration group in a couple of weeks. Do you mind?

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Go ahead Heather and let me know how it went! I have created a document with the latest download here https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-9983-topology-check-python-addin  This download also includes a readme file, which has pretty pictures and explanations

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund

Great! Will do. One suggestion on the documentation is to add in your assumptions - like the 15 ft distance for dangles if that's what it is. I like your idea of adding a user-defined distance in a future version!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Heather-  I think you're going to like this tool...

JB

HeatherW

That should just about do it....
CattyannCampbell

Anyone test this with 10.5?

0 Kudos