creating cache tiles with transparent background

04-05-2010 08:12 AM
idapodrug
New Contributor
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to create cache tiles with a clear/transparent background. Currently I can only cache the layers which are underneath all my other layers or else the white background created from the cache tiles covers all layers underneath.
Thanks,
i
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor
You'll need to use PNG instead of JPEG, but you can cache tiles with transparency. They should respect the properties of the map service/mxd being cached.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/dotNet/index.htm#choosing_cache_properties.htm
0 Kudos
idapodrug
New Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for responding. Yes i researched and found that i had to use a PNG8 format. So i've actually gone ahead and done that and it worked great. i created one map service that has my cached PNG8 ortho photos and then i have a shape layer underneath. when i added these 2 map services to one web application it worked great and the ortho images which were on top show my layers underneath. so now i actually want to put some layers on top and below these cached ortho images. however once i've done this i found that my layers on top seem to completely obscure my orthoimages and other layers below. this map service on top is not cached. so now i'm not sure what to do. why are these layers masking out my cached ortho image. when i turn off the layers on top i can see my ortho image just fine.
i
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor
Are your map services .mxd based or optimized (.msd) based?

Also, what version and service pack for ArcGIS Server are you at?
0 Kudos
idapodrug
New Contributor
So i have an .mxd and i have the service pack 1.
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
Hi,
Thanks for responding. Yes i researched and found that i had to use a PNG8 format. So i've actually gone ahead and done that and it worked great. i created one map service that has my cached PNG8 ortho photos and then i have a shape layer underneath. when i added these 2 map services to one web application it worked great and the ortho images which were on top show my layers underneath. so now i actually want to put some layers on top and below these cached ortho images. however once i've done this i found that my layers on top seem to completely obscure my orthoimages and other layers below. this map service on top is not cached. so now i'm not sure what to do. why are these layers masking out my cached ortho image. when i turn off the layers on top i can see my ortho image just fine.
i

So your dynamic map service on top is obscuring the layers below? It sounds like this doesn't have anything to do with caching if the dynamic map service obscures whatever is below it. What is covering up the other layers, is it just blank white space? Do you have a background color set?
0 Kudos
DanaSteil
New Contributor
I am getting a white background when I publish my may service to a secure folder (by secure I mean that I have set the "require Encryped Web Access" flag).  The correct points appear, just with a white back ground.  I am using the map service as a ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer in Flex.  The problem so come and go randomly.  The map that I published is a .mxd (not optimized).

Any ideas?
0 Kudos