Increasing the 'Max Image Width (in pixels)' parameter in a map service

08-29-2023 06:34 AM
spons
by
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

Increasing the 'maximum width (in pixels) of images' parameter in a map service resolves some display issues we have found in 'ultra wide' Apple monitors.

The default value for this parameter is 4096 and we have increased it up to 6000 pixels. With that adjustment the visualization problem was solved.

But, does anyone know if there are any negative side effects this change may have on the performance of the map service or even in the Server itself?

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
spons
by
New Contributor

I have to make a clarification, I didn't mean 'Apple monitors', but rather any 'ultra wide' monitor on an Apple computer, such as the Mac.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi.  It will impact performance as there is more work to do.  If you imagine the internals of the server, then the a major part of meeting the request is to get the data.  Increasing the max width will not impact that.  Once the server has the data in memory then it needs to process that on the fly.  If the server is requested to generate an image that is 500px X 500px then that's a small workload.  1000px X 1000px isn't big in the modern scheme of things, but it doubles the width and height which multplies the image production workload by 4 times.  Had you gone to 1500px X 1500px then it increases the workload by 9 times.  

Of course, the server can handle this, but it will take longer to produce.  If you have a lightly used server then there is probably no reason for concern.  If it's a maxed-out server, then you could have introduced the straw that breaks the camel's back.  There's a lot of variables, so without detailed knowledge of your environment, you just need to monitor it.  

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
Islam_Salahat
New Contributor

Hello @Scott 

I have a concern related the ultra wide monitor,  When trying to configure the max height and width, it gives me the result displaced than it should be. Is it a known limitation or something? as the issue appears only on the Ultra wide monitor.

Islam_Salahat_0-1702408253500.png

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you changed the setting in the server?  That looks like the app.  The app can ask for the wide but if it’s wider than the server will present then it’s useless???

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos