MXD layers and toolbars mysteriously vanish

05-03-2021 12:21 PM
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

we have an MXD that's used to publish a reference service to ArcGIS Server (ArcMap, ArcGIS Server ver 10.6). MOST (not ALL) of the features in the MXD were from Enterprise GDB with a few File GDB layers thrown in for verisimilitude.

Same MXD has been used for some time to share/overwrite a feature service on ArcGIS Server consumed by a separate web mapping application.

I looked at the MXD this AM, and had a staff member do the same. Everything seemed fine - no broken data sources or any other error we could detect when opening the MXD locally.

then I had staff member open the MXD (same document) while remotely connected to the VM we use to publish to AGS, and the MXD opened, but all the staff member's toolbars were missing from the map - Editing, Navigation, Labeling toolbars were all missing; they couldn't even see the Default tools (File, Edit, View, Bookmarks, etc).

we closed that MXD and reopened on basic principle

upon reopening the MXD, we saw that not only were the toolbars still missing, so were all the map's contents (see attachment). The only thing visible in the MXD was the Layout Toolbar.

I have seen MXDs lose their tool bars (although never the File, Edit, View, etc) but I've never hade one go completely blank like this.

They were connected to the remote desktop using RDC and the same credentials they use for everyday local editing. We use Active Directory, and the remote machine is SQL Server 2012R2.

Anyone else come across something like this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Reboot the machine, and check again.

Check if MXD Doctor is able to repair the "corrupt" document or retrieve the layers.

If the issue persists, try the steps for Resetting your ArcGIS application profile 

Think Location
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

MXD Doctor produced an "_new" copy of the old MXD. 

toolbars were back, but the data formerly known as in that MXD remain persistently absent.

we can always manually re-add toolbars, but the data disappearing is what confuses and angers me ...

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you share the original mxd file, here?

Think Location
0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

attached the MXD below

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even I couldn't retrieve any layer(s) in the MXD.

Unless you have a previous backup of the MXD, you may need to recreate it from scratch (keeping it as close as possible to the published service(s).

You may contact Esri Technical Support, in case they have any trick under their sleeves.

Think Location
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

yeah we ended up rebuilding the map from scratch - still no clue why it all went flooey but we will make backups of all MXDs from now on.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I have the same problem.  We would have upgraded the mxd to aprx except its part of a mapbook and Pro still can't do mapbooks properly (full SQL is all it needs not the hamstrung Page Query thing, how hard could it be?) so we rely on an ArcMap only 3rd party software.

0 Kudos