Add dynamic table to layout

09-25-2013 06:47 AM
WilliamBailey
New Contributor II
I am using Data Driven pages for Parcel Map Book creation. I need to add an attribute table listing all the subdivision information viewable on each specific page.
I can do it manually now with 'select-by-attributes' and 'add table to layout' but can be time consuming when a lot of pages need to be exported.
My subdivision table does have a column that matches the 'index' layer name; so I thought about 'insert dynamic attribute', but I need 5 columns from subdivision table.
How can I update the table in layout by just clicking 'next page' from data driven toolbar?
I saw 'Make Query Table' and this looks promising, just trying to get a hint at direction I should take from the pros.
I also saw the 'graphic table element', but we do not have the 'Production Mapping' extension.
Seems odd this little gem is hidden away in some costly extension.

I'm working in Version 10.2 and admittedly new to Python.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GeorgeNewbury
Occasional Contributor
The graphic table element would give you the most flexibility, but if you can't get it then that won't work for you.

Some of the issues to consider:

1. Is the table always going to be the same size? If one page has 5 features with data, and another has 20, then you'll need to size any table-like  visualization you create accordingly. Also what is the longest piece of text you'd need to put in each table-like cell. E.g. if you are going through owner's name you'll have to accomodate for both the 'Smith' and the 'MyNameIsManyCharactersLongAndYou'llJustNeedToEditItManually'.

2. Formatting Issues. For example currency, number of decimal spots, rounding issues, abbreviations such as Km2, coded value domains), etc. all need to be thought through.

3. Where does this fit in your export process? Should probably be near the end as it is more of a cartographic design problem.

The make query table is to create a table, as in an ArcGIS geodatabase table, not really for a cartographic display table. Some options:

1. If you can somewhat predict the size of the table you could create a set of text elements (could create them dynamically or use an existing mxd with them already laid out) and then use python to go to the DDP page, modify those text elements based on the DDP data, other queries, etc. and then save that as a PDF, if you have other workflows to accomplish then save a copy of the MXD to that specific page.

2. Leave an appropriate space for the table and create the table someother way, e.g. maybe Excel and save it is as a JPG and then (I'm assuming PDF is the final format) add the table as a layer in your PDF file. That assumes you have Acrobat Professional.

3. Create another dataframe and create a polygon feature class that looks like a table (a grid) and set it up so it is linked to your DDP index. Could get very confusing very quickly, but could be done. More than likely you'd want to programmatically modify the features in the polygon feature class and then export or save the page. You wouldn't need to have arcmap open, could be done in ArcCatalog or as a standalone python script.

I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet so I don't know if there is a better way to do it at that version.

Hope this helps
George
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
You can tinker around with GraphicElement Example 2 in the link below. I have not used it with DDP's. I'm thinking you can have your code create an extent polygon of the current extent, then do a select by location and create the table for each page with the code below based on the selection.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s300000040000000

something like this for selection polygons:

http://anothergisblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/creating-extent-polygons-using-arcpy.html
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
There are two solutions available for download.

The first is an example of graphic tables.  The linework is static on the layout but the text dynamically fills in the cells.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=af4fe32a93554eadbd3be3b0e55326be

The second example is true dynamic tables.  The linework and text is dynamic from page to page.  The tabular infomation also resizes itself to "fit" within a given area.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3a525b986b774a3f9cbbd8daf2435852

Jeff
0 Kudos
WilliamBailey
New Contributor II
Thanks to all... It is taxroll time here, so it will be a cpl weeks before I can get back to this.
I will post back once I have tried these.... I'm still upset about charging extra for the 'Graphic Table Element', seems archaic to draw lines and add text in the mentioned solutions.
0 Kudos