Conda. How can it be so slow?

03-07-2023 02:38 PM
Labels (1)
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

I have been trying to familiarise myself with the Conda environment mechanism in ArcGIS Pro (I am running Pro 3.1). Witness my earlier post about durability of environments.

I created a new Conda environment, then used the Python Command Prompt from the Start Menu.
Every invocation of Conda takes an eternity to complete. It takes tens of seconds to return even when the command line is incorrect. Eg I tried Conda list --envs. It took 35seconds! to inform me that --envs was an unrecognized argument.

How can this be that slow?? How is it possible to use such an environment with performance like that??

Tags (2)
6 Replies
Brian_Wilson

My guess is there some slow network thing going on, a server or something it's searching. Perhaps something has become unreachable that's in there like a file server and it has to time out before it can complete.

Check what "conda info" says

probably the envs directory locations would be critical, it won't be reading cache locations unless you are doing an install

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

>>>conda clean --all

if it isn't network related or if you don't have a stack of clones.

A practice I follow, is a major wipe (registries etc) of all arc* and python stuff at major releases.  Works wonders and keeps the skill sharp 😉

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertStevens

I have recorded this as a bug#03284976

I will post any resolution of the problem that I receive from ESRI

ZacharyHart

did you ever find a solution for this?

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Hello Zachary

Time has passed, conda became irrelevant for my needs, and I am struggling to remember what technical support suggested.

The last thing we tried was to turn off the anti-virus, and I believe that worked.
Conda was still not blindingly fast but acceptable. But turning antivirus
off is clearly not an acceptable solution. I believe that the upshot was
that a fix was needed to ESRI software and would be incorporated into
a new release. Whether that happened I don't know, and I have not
not tested since.

It so happens that I am working with these python environments again
and may soon revisit. I will let you know of any new result I have when I next test
I am currently on the most up-to-date release of AcrGIS Pro (3.1.3)

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Zachary

As my brain has warmed up on this, and I looked online at the cases filed with ESRI, I can now confirm that it was confirmed by ESRI as a bug. The bug identifier is: BUG-000157731

I have not yet looked further to see what the status of that bug is. I may get around to it shortly.

0 Kudos