Connect to Portal from ArcGIS Desktop

12-18-2013 07:15 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: yiszlin

I did follow the documentation (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Managing_portal_connections_from_ArcGIS_fo...) to connect to Portal through ArcGIS Administrator.

In ArcGIS Administrator I installed certificate and place all certificates in the Certification Store "Trusted Root Certification Authorities". The Security Alert (error0) keep showing up a few times after I click Yes.

When I try to Sign In to Portal from ArcMap, here is the message I got (error1). I couldn't publish services to Portal as it doen't show up like ArcGIS online when I try to share as a service.

please help. Thanks a lot.

Yi
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Is your SSL certificate using the fully-qualified host as its NAME?  In other words, instead of SERVER1 does it say SERVER1.domain.int instead?  If not, you need to obtain a new certificate.  The FQN is required in the certificate for Portal.  From your screenshots, it looks like the certificate simply isn't trusted despite it being in the Trusted Certification Store.  What happens when you request the Portal URL from a web browser directly?  Does it load the Portal homepage?  Are you challenged with a certificate warning in the browser?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. We solved it and were able to sign in from Desktop.

Here is another problem. We still cannot publish map or feature services to portal. When I sign in to portal from ArcMap I can see my maps but when I try to publish a service, Portal is not in the menu of "Choose a connection". The Portal account's role is an administrator.

Please help. Thanks a lot.

Yi
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Did you create the Portal database and register it with AGS as a managed data store by chance?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: djarrard

Along with what William said, AGS will have to be federated with Portal and assigned as the Hosting server in the Portal settings.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you all for the replies. I am working on getting more machines to set up the managed database, federated server and hosting server.

Yi
0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Occasional Contributor III
I had an issue where, even though I am an administrator, I was unable to publish to my federated server unless I was connected to the server using a publisher connection.
0 Kudos