convert shapefile in nested folders to mdb

07-27-2015 02:26 PM
lelaharrington
New Contributor III

i have a folder that has line 700 sub folders. each one has at least one shape file in it. i would like to take all 700+ and put them in a geodatabase and then start going thru them. how do i do this. python or model builder is ok

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

1.) Walk through your nested folders: either os.walk() or arcpy.da.Walk()​ would work

2.) Import, one by one, into your mdb (many possible tools. Perhaps, Copy Features)

lelaharrington
New Contributor III

ya but how do you put that together.

walk thru this folder and when you get .shp move it to mdb.?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The examples in the help show the basic pattern: use walk() to populate a list of files, for each file (possibly meeting a criteria, like being a shapefile) do something. Your something is to copy into a mdb.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried anything yet?

Can't find any pre-made solution?

How familiar you with modelbuilder or python? Do you have a sample you are having problems with?

What do you intend to do with them when you get them there?  Just look at them?  Why no just use arccatalog to preview them if that is all you need.

IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I reworked a bit of an old script I had, but this should be close to what you need (Untested).

The original post that is based off of is here if you need more refernece.  https://community.esri.com/thread/107816

import arcpy  
import os  
workspace = r"workspacepath"  
out_mdb = r"filepathtomdbhere"
for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in arcpy.da.Walk(workspace,datatype="FeatureClass"):  
    for filename in filenames:  
          arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(os.path.join(dirpath , filename) , os.path.join(out_mdb , filename.strip(".shp")))
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi lela,

You could also use Feature class iterator and Feature class to feature class (Conversion tool) in a model builder.

Remember to check Recursive (optional).

Think Location
lelaharrington
New Contributor III

so is the test data the folder with the sub folders in it? and then it pulls the feature class name and then converts it to the gdb?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

YES

Think Location
0 Kudos