Edit with IDLE (ArcGIS pro) to use Cloned Environment

11-18-2022 08:17 AM
Sunnywaygis
New Contributor III

Hi There, I want to run a Python 3 script using IDLE. In my script I am using some custom libraries so I have created a cloned environment for that. The issue is that when I choose Edit with IDLE (ArcGIS Pro) is seems to be looking at default. How can I change so that it points to the cloned environment.     

Sunnywaygis_0-1668788057040.png

Thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

So I always thought that when you select 'Edit with IDLE (ArcGIS Pro)', and your ArcGIS Pro PackageManager>Active Environment is set to the cloned environment, that meant it would use the pythonw.exe from:

C:\Users\myProfile\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\pythonw.exe

Are you saying that is not the case and the IDLE is still using the default environment at:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\pythonw.exe

?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

one way or the either (eg through conda or through Pro) you should activate the environment that you want to use

packagemanager.png

Project backstage, Package manager, then activate the environment you want use

And then there is the help

Activate an environment—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Adding to what Dan wrote, when you set an environment as the default for Pro by activating it, the shortcuts including the ones for IDLE in the explorer menu are rewritten to point at the custom environment being used. This way, the IDE and Pro are kept in sync, which is what most folks typically want.

0 Kudos