Find Vertexs on line that are too close together

Jump to solution
05-20-2015 02:17 PM
LarryAdgate
Occasional Contributor

Hi Folks,  thanks once again for helping with my questions:

How do I find vertexs on a line that are too close together especially at their end points. Is there a tool or script that can do the job?

Thanks,

Larry Adgate  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

If you are trying to reduce the number of vertices in a feature, you might want to check the simplify tool in the cartography toolbox.  It can remove extraneous vertices while keeping the essential shape fo the feature(may or may not be what you are needing.

ArcGIS Desktop

Another possible tool is the Generalize tool in the Edit Toolbox.

ArcGIS Desktop

If you are not trying to remove the points, just identify them, you could convert vertices to points then do a near table to see which points are spatially closest to each other.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

If you are trying to reduce the number of vertices in a feature, you might want to check the simplify tool in the cartography toolbox.  It can remove extraneous vertices while keeping the essential shape fo the feature(may or may not be what you are needing.

ArcGIS Desktop

Another possible tool is the Generalize tool in the Edit Toolbox.

ArcGIS Desktop

If you are not trying to remove the points, just identify them, you could convert vertices to points then do a near table to see which points are spatially closest to each other.

LarryAdgate
Occasional Contributor

Hi lan,  Thank you for your response,

I am trying to reduce build errors when building a geometrict network. If two vertexs are close together at their ends, an unaware user will snap to the wrong vertex.  A topology rule can find the errors but would like to find something faster for other users.

0 Kudos
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II

Once the network has been cleaned up implemented, there are tolerances that can be set restricting vertexes being placed close together.

Is your geometric network set up for complex edges?

LarryAdgate
Occasional Contributor

Susan,

We are using complex edges.

Thank You