Geoprocessing Service shows always same output value

01-29-2016 08:40 AM
ionarawilson
New Contributor III

Hi, I need to know the scale of an mxd in a web application. For that I am running  a geoprocessing service. I need to know the scale when there is a definition query and the map zooms in to that feature. I can see in the message that the scale changes, but the output in the web application is always the same scale, although the input feature changes. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help.

import arcpy

import os

import uuid

# Input Layout template

Layout_Template = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)

if Layout_Template == '#' or not Layout_Template:

Layout_Template = "StewardshipTractBoundaryMap"

layouttemplatemxd = Layout_Template

templatePath = 'D:/ArcGISData/Geoprocessing_Examples/Advanced_HighQualityPrinting3'

Selecting_Features = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)

Input_Polygons = "Stewardship"

mxd0 = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"D:\ArcGISData\Geoprocessing_Examples\Advanced_HighQualityPrinting3\\" + layouttemplatemxd + ".mxd")

df1 = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd0, "DataFrame1")[0]

mxd0.activeView = df1

lyr1 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd0, Input_Polygons, df1)[0]

lyr1.definitionQuery = ""

lyr1.definitionQuery = '"PlanID" = \'%s\'' % Selecting_Features

df1.panToExtent(lyr1.getSelectedExtent())

lyr1.getExtent()

lyr1extent = lyr1.getExtent()

df1.extent = lyr1extent

Scale = str(df1.scale)

arcpy.RefreshTOC()

arcpy.RefreshActiveView()

mxd0.save()

arcpy.SetParameterAsText(2, Scale)

lyr1.definitionQuery = ""

arcpy.RefreshTOC()

arcpy.RefreshActiveView() 

arcpy.AddMessage(Scale)

mxd0.save()

del mxd0, df1, lyr1

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I like sys.argv although others prefer getparameterastext

sys.argv[0]  is always the script name

sys.argv[1] ... sys.argv  are the number of parameters that you specify in sequential order, so if you have 2 input parameters and 1 output parameter, then they would be numbered, 1,2,3

I am sure get...astext works the same way, but it starts at 0 since it doesn't know the script name.

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

If the tool works as a regular tool before publishing, but not as a service, your parameter index are probably correct.

My guess is when publishing it hasn't updated, or incorrectly updated the paths to either the templates, or the selected features you're passing in isn't working correctly.

The first and easiest test is to consume the service back in ArcMap - ArcMap will always pass the features correctly. If you get the correct result there, but not the webapp, its something to do with how the service + web application is setup.

If that isn't the problem, I'd try changing your first bit of code

import os

layouttemplatemxd = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) if arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) else "StewardshipTractBoundaryMap"  #I think this should work

Layout_Template = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)

if Layout_Template == '#' or not Layout_Template:

Layout_Template = "StewardshipTractBoundaryMap"

layouttemplatemxd = Layout_Template

templatePath = 'D:/ArcGISData/Geoprocessing_Examples/Advanced_HighQualityPrinting3'

Selecting_Features = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)

Input_Polygons = "Stewardship"

mxd0 = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(os.path.join(templatePath, layouttemplatemxd + '.mxd')

And if none of that does it, it might be how you're doing the select itself. It looks a little strange to me, setting the definition query then doing a select. Is that needed?

ionarawilson
New Contributor III

Thank you Kevin. The gp gives the correct result in ArcMap so I am guessing is something in the web app. However, when I debug the web app it shows the selected features varies as the input but the output is always the same. I need to investigate more why this is happening in the web app. I will post the code here later. Thanks again.

0 Kudos