How to use Python to export selected data driven pages?

Jump to solution
01-26-2012 05:21 AM
Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III
I???m trying to export to pdf just the selected data driven pages from a test mxd prepared, but I keep getting an error message.  I???m writing in the python window in desktop the following lines:

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument ("C:/Workspace/MyTESTS/DDP/MyDDP1K_Test.mxd")  tempDDP = mxd.dataDrivenPages  tempDDP.exportToPDF("C:/Workspace/MyTESTS/DDP/tempDDP.pdf","CURRENT") ??? test1...works fine  tempDDP.exportToPDF("C:/Workspace/MyTESTS/DDP/tempDDP.pdf","RANGE","5-12") ??? test2...works fine  tempDDP.exportToPDF("C:/Workspace/MyTESTS/DDP/tempDDP.pdf","SELECTED")  --test3...error (I had 3 pages selected and it works fine when doing it manually) 

Any help is appreciated...
Ulises Feliciano Troche
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
It is because you are assigning "PDF_MULTIPLE_FILES_PAGE_INDEX" to the wrong parameter.  You are assigning it to {page_range_string} and not {multiple_files}.

To skip {page_range_string} and assing {multiple_files} try:

tempDDP.exportToPDF(temp_filename, "SELECTED",multiple_files="PDF_MULTIPLE_FILES_PAGE_INDEX")

If you want to skip parameters in Python you must type in the parameter name.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ulises
by
Don't know why, but suddenly I'm able to export the selected pages, as expected, without any changes to the code.  The issue now is that I want to export each page to separate pdf files, but can�??t.  I change the code to something like�?�

tempDDP.exportToPDF(temp_filename, "SELECTED","PDF_MULTIPLE_FILES_PAGE_INDEX")

it runs ok, but still creates just 1 pdf file with all my selected pages in it.

any help is appreciated...
Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
It is because you are assigning "PDF_MULTIPLE_FILES_PAGE_INDEX" to the wrong parameter.  You are assigning it to {page_range_string} and not {multiple_files}.

To skip {page_range_string} and assing {multiple_files} try:

tempDDP.exportToPDF(temp_filename, "SELECTED",multiple_files="PDF_MULTIPLE_FILES_PAGE_INDEX")

If you want to skip parameters in Python you must type in the parameter name.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Ulises
by
Thanks, Jeff...

Problem solved...
Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos